The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Putting lid on kettle to increase hop aroma?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2009, 12:07 PM   #1
SpanishCastleAle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Default Putting lid on kettle to increase hop aroma?

Suppose you're doing a nice long 90 minute boil. You add your bittering hops and boil as normal for almost the entire boil...but right near the end when you add the aroma hops (let's say @ 5 minutes remaining) you put the lid on the kettle for a few minutes. Then when you lift the lid you sort of tilt it and let the condensation on the lid drip back into the wort. Then boil for a couple more minutes and flame-out.

Would this help increase the aroma?
Would the hop compounds that are boiled-off and then recondensed undergo any oxidation during that process?
If so, is that a good thing?

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Last edited by SpanishCastleAle; 04-15-2009 at 12:10 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2009, 12:10 PM   #2
Figbash
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Put your aroma hops in at flame out and the oils won't have time to boil off.

Tom

Old 04-15-2009, 12:23 PM   #3
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Thanks Tom but I've done that. I'm trying to get better 'aroma utilization' and I'm sure there's a constellation of different ways to do that. I'm asking if this particular method I mentioned above works. I'm gonna try it either way but my next brew is a Tripel which won't be ready until forever...so any results are at least a couple months away.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 04-15-2009, 12:29 PM   #4
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The hop aromatics are volatilized very quickly even at flameout when the burner is switched off. I usually just toss 'em in at flameout, but you might getting bigger hop aroma if you hold back that addition until the wort cools somewhat, around 170-180°.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:38 PM   #5
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

As far as the lid thing goes, I usually put my lid on for the last few minutes of the boil to sanitize it. I don't notice any unusually good hop aroma when using aroma hops.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 04-15-2009, 12:55 PM   #6
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Thanks. I've done ~2 minutes after flame-out but that's as far as I've gone...and that was when I was cooling slower.

I probably should just use pellets there. I've heard many people say 'pellets for bittering and whole for flavor/aroma' but it seems to work better for me the other way around. But pellets clog the strainer and whole hops help filter trub so I usually don't use pellet.

Also, I dunno how to describe it but I want the 'beer-y' hop aroma...not that raw/grassy hop aroma.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:20 PM   #7
Figbash
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Have you tried dry hopping, or better yet using a hop back? A hop back is the only way I've found to get enough flavor and aroma in my IPA's.

Tom

Old 04-15-2009, 05:35 PM   #8
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Good suggestions.

I tried dry-hopping a long time ago and it didn't give the aroma I'm looking for. It was the more raw hop/grassy type of aroma.

I dunno how I'd use a hopback. I do almost everything in regular ole pots and use an IC...no valves or CFC or whirlpooling or anything.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:42 PM   #9
XXguy
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I was listening to one of the brewcasts last night - talking about hop aroma. I forget who it was that said it - but his feeling was that if you could smell that "good smell" of hops - it was all of the hop aroma escaping.

His recommendation was a hop back to capture & "seal" in the flavor & aroma.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:47 PM   #10
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

I wonder if trying different addition times might help get what your looking for. Try a 10 min., a 5 min., and a 0 min. to see the differences. Just thinking out loud here.

END TRANSMISSION

Quick Reply