Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Purging with C02 to prevent oxidation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 04:05 PM   #11
Nablis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yes, but as you can see in the video co2 is heavier than air and pours out when you pour out the water.

It might work somewhat, air is going to be sucked in when the water flows out, but purging with co2 from a hose would be better.
I just run a hose into my vessel and turn the gas on, I like the idea of attaching an air gun to the co2 tank. I will do that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 04:11 PM   #12
boscobeans
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 306

As I stated before.

Once the seltzer has degassed hold your hand over the foil. Invert the carboy (wihich has a narrow neck) allow the liter or two of water to flow out, then stand the bottle back up and keep covered until you rack into it. The OP is using a BETTER BOTTLE which has a narrow neck.

bosco

Old 12-14-2012, 04:24 PM   #13
boscobeans
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nablis View Post
yes, but as you can see in the video co2 is heavier than air and pours out when you pour out the water.

It might work somewhat, air is going to be sucked in when the water flows out, but purging with co2 from a hose would be better.
I just run a hose into my vessel and turn the gas on, I like the idea of attaching an air gun to the co2 tank. I will do that.
That's fine and will work.

I should have prefaced my resonse by stating:

"If you feel the need to introduce some CO2 into a carboy or like vessel and you do not have a source of CO2 there is another way. An old seltzer maker would work as well, just charge the empty cylinder and shoot the gas into your carboy."

bosco

Old 12-14-2012, 11:34 PM   #14
mooshimanx
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Turn the valve off, unscrew the QD and then stick the hose in the carboy and turn it back on. Alternatively, you could stop using secondary carboys and use another corny keg to secondary.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:06 AM   #15
strambo
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Why not cold crash the primary, then secondary in the keg?

Old 12-15-2012, 01:36 AM   #16
AlCophile
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Dear Iboe12:
The following advice should NOT be used until the user educates him/herself on the proper and safe use of compressed gasses. I shall not be personally responsible. OK?
I would never have air in headspace: I'm an amateur, don't leave anything to chance, won't risk a batch=time, money, work. I use nitrogen, left over from chemistry, shall switch to CO2 ASAP. Approached fellow at AirGas, got encouraging answers. You should talk to local gas dealers. AirGas is even getting into "beer gas" for us HBers. Can also use gas pressure to push fluid out of a vessel.
CO2 is cheap, and going in with others is cheaper still.
I always wanted to try: Dry Ice(careful....-80 degrees=frostbite. you are warned!!!) will slowly warm, giving off CO2. And, CO2 is heavier than air, and COLD CO2 is heavier still. Use this fact. Careful: CO2 at 10% concentration will render you unconscious, and, you will die. Buuuuutttttt......CO2 as Dry Ice has compressor oil on it, but a clever fellow should be able to construct a filter to remove this oil. Why? 'cause DI is dirt cheap. Hmmmm. Also, CO2 has formula weight of 44, and this expressed as grams is 44g., the weight of what chemists call one mole of CO2, and with 454 grams per pound, that is ten moles of CO2 per pound. Soooooooooooooo wot? Well, one mole of a gas at room temp. occupies 22.4 liters. Now, you can compute how much gas is needed to flush how much space. Test it by holding a lit match by opening. Go online to find conversion factors for, well, stuff. Good luck!

Old 12-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #17
Dr_Jeff
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Would the extreme cold of the Dry Ice crack a better bottle or carboy?

Old 12-18-2012, 12:25 AM   #18
Jakeintoledo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I would bet that the secondary will continue to format--not significantly, mind you, but just enough to purge any oxygen sitting on your beer. I'd bet you'd be okay not messing with it.

Jake in Toledo

Primary: Privateer English Pale Ale
Kegged: VEE HAFF VAYS AUF MAKING YOU TALK LOUDLY Dunkel
Bottled: Pacific Pride (American) Pale Ale

Quick Reply