Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   General Techniques (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/)
-   -   Purging with C02 to prevent oxidation (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/purging-c02-prevent-oxidation-373780/)

lboe12 12-12-2012 06:41 PM

Purging with C02 to prevent oxidation
 
Hi all,

Here is a quick breakdown of my process. All Grain brewer. Primary fermentation of about 3-4 weeks then transfer to a secondary and cold crash for about a week. This allows for super clear beer going into my keg.

I would like to purge my secondary with C02 to help prevent oxygen from sitting on my beer for a week. I already have a C02 tank but am confused as to specifically what parts i need to get my C02 into a better bottle. Some sort of gun nozzle that will allow me to shoot C02 into the carboy??? I really dont know. Maybe someone can give me some direction. Also, is anyone purging their bottles when bottling?

stpug 12-12-2012 06:50 PM

I use a blow gun from the air tool section of your hardware store or amazon with the largest diameter tube about 3mm. The larger the tube the more gentle the force of the co2 which helps displace the air in your carboy rather than just mixing with it. I've seen a larger diameter tube for blow guns at a local hose supply store but find the 3mm one to be sufficient. I got mine from amazon for ~$5US

I have a utility line on my co2 tank that has an air quick disconnect for quick swapping of tools. I then added a quick disconnect male fitting to the blow gun.

This page is what gave me the idea (and visual):
http://brewing.lustreking.com/gear/co2utility.html

Dave the Brewer 12-12-2012 06:54 PM

That all seems a little unnecessary unless you have alot of head space in your carboy and intent to age it for a while.

jkendal 12-12-2012 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lboe12 (Post 4675890)
Primary fermentation of about 3-4 weeks then transfer to a secondary and cold crash for about a week. This allows for super clear beer going into my keg.

I do the same thing except I skip the secondary. I cold crash the primary for a week before kegging, then let the keg sit for week while it's carbonating (no force carb). I get super clear beer every time.

Doed 12-12-2012 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lboe12 (Post 4675890)
I would like to purge my secondary with C02 to help prevent oxygen from sitting on my beer for a week. I already have a C02 tank but am confused as to specifically what parts i need to get my C02 into a better bottle. Some sort of gun nozzle that will allow me to shoot C02 into the carboy??? I really dont know. Maybe someone can give me some direction. Also, is anyone purging their bottles when bottling?

lboe12 - not sure why you would need some specific parts. Just attach a co2 tube to your tank and feed the other end down to the bottom of your carboy, then open the gas. Just a moment or two should be sufficient.

HopOnHops 12-13-2012 12:12 PM

You could get the argon canister sold to wine people if you're super paranoid

day_trippr 12-13-2012 01:42 PM

Both of my CO2 systems (keezer and carb fridge) have external tanks & primaries, and I have an extra drop on the keezer system with a QD.

I unscrew the QD, stick the hose into the mouth of the carboy by an inch or so and pointing straight down into the center, open the manifold valve and blast away for a few seconds, slap the airlock on and stick it in the fermenting fridge, and go have a beer.

Like so many things, I don't know that flushing the head space on a secondary fermenter is necessary, but I do it anyway, especially because all of my carboys are 6.5 gallon glass and I keg in cornies. I've never, ever had an obvious infection in years of brewing.

A good case of OC can be handy for the home brewer, imo...

Cheers! ;)

boscobeans 12-14-2012 03:35 PM

Pour in 2 liters of seltzer and cover with foil. Shake it up a couple of times and let it sit for a few minutes. Shake it again and quickly dump out the flat water. There is now about a gallon of CO2 in your carboy. Rack into it and if you get near the top of your carboy (which you should if doing a secondary) you are good to go. No equipment needed only a bottle of seltzer 2 liters/1 buck.

OMO

bosco

Nablis 12-14-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boscobeans (Post 4682314)
Pour in 2 liters of seltzer and cover with foil. Shake it up a couple of times and let it sit for a few minutes. Shake it again and quickly dump out the flat water. There is now about a gallon of CO2 in your carboy. Rack into it and if you get near the top of your carboy (which you should if doing a secondary) you are good to go. No equipment needed only a bottle of seltzer 2 liters/1 buck.

OMO

bosco

won't the co2 pour out?

boscobeans 12-14-2012 03:51 PM

I think the OP states he wants to do a secondary in a better bottle or carboy. Hold the foil on the neck, invert the bottle, let the water flow out around the foil and when the water is out stand the bottle back up with the foil in place.

bosco


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:26 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.