Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Pumpkin brew suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2005, 04:50 PM   #31
Fudd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default That is the most amazing thing ever!

I definitely want to make a pumpkin beer for my next batch, tis the season after all. Just wondering though, after reading all the threads on this it seems like most people make a pumpkin stout. I like the sound of the wheat beer better but does anyone have any suggestions? Is there a reason for doing it with a stout?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2005, 02:29 PM   #32
FrewBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Actually, most people do it with amber'ish ale's. I just thought that a pumpkin stout sounded good. Looking back, I wish I had done mine with a lighter beer. The stout's flavor is just so powerful that it almost completely wipes out any notice of the pumpkin of spices.

That said, the stout IS good, I just think if I were to do it again, it'd be with an amber kit.

Primary: 5 gal. Stout
Secondary: 10 gal. Belgian Witbier
On tap: IPA
Ready to brew: 10 gal. Fat Tire clone

Relax, don't worry, Have a Frew Brew

Old 10-11-2005, 10:02 PM   #33
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

I'm interested in the final results. Does it taste like pumpkin, pumpkin pie or just spiced beer? I haven't brewed pumpkin beer, because I've never had one I liked much. And I'll eat pumpkin as a side dish because I love it.

Old 10-11-2005, 10:14 PM   #34
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
I'm interested in the final results. Does it taste like pumpkin, pumpkin pie or just spiced beer? I haven't brewed pumpkin beer, because I've never had one I liked much. And I'll eat pumpkin as a side dish because I love it.
I think it's primarily the spices I taste, which I associate with pumpkin pie and all things pumpkiny. I've never made one, but some of the commercial ones I've samples had a distinctly orangish hue.

The flavors have ranged from sweet and creamy (Cottonwood Brewery) to more hoppy and spicy (Post Road). Edenton St. is somewhere in between.

Old 10-11-2005, 10:50 PM   #35
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
I haven't brewed pumpkin beer, because I've never had one I liked much.
Isn't that the joy of Homebrewing? Making a beer that's 100% to YOUR liking and not worrying about mass appeal?

Mine is going to have the sweetness of a wheat with extra spices and a slight tinge of pumpkin flavor and color. I'm expecting it to be delicious. In fact, I'm going to prime with brown sugar just to get a little molasses in the mix.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 10-16-2005, 04:54 AM   #36
FrewBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have a few critique's of my stout:

1) too hoppy, it over power's the pumpkin taste
2) Gives MAJOR heart burn the next day, if anyone has any suggestsions as to what may cause this, and how to fix it, Id greatly appreciate... I like it too much to be unable to drink it (Im currently on a regular diet of Pepcid AC to counter-act said acid stomach, and its quite ineffective

Primary: 5 gal. Stout
Secondary: 10 gal. Belgian Witbier
On tap: IPA
Ready to brew: 10 gal. Fat Tire clone

Relax, don't worry, Have a Frew Brew

Old 10-20-2005, 06:59 AM   #37
Daneaux
Recipes 

Default Pumpkin lovin

Last year at Universals Beer festival I found myself in awe of this pumpkin micro brew. I yelled pumpkin all night long. I am proud to announce the creation on my first pumpkin ale. Its bubbling perfect. Cant wait to taste it finished. I took many suggestions from sources. I cut up 3 cooking pumpkins, baked for an hour, mashed to pulp and mashed it with the grains. I saved 2 Tablespoons of pulp and added at 15 min. of end of boil. I have heard stories of how messy the wort is so I used grain bags for the pumpkin and I dont have a lot of sediment. It is pretty clean. The color is cool...The wort tasted like the beer I sampled a year ago at the festival. Homebrew is priceless.

Quick Reply