Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Pumpkin brew suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2005, 12:45 AM   #21
FrewBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinostylee
I just bought my equipment and an Irish stout kit. I'm soooooo tempted to try your pumpkin recipe, but think since I've only brewed 2 times several years back, I should probably keep it simple.
This was my first batch... not sure how much that means, take it as you will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker
The spices and other flavors need time to mellow and meld, which could take 6 or more weeks.

-walker
So does this mean my pumpkin brew may yet take on more of a pumpkinee flavor?? It's been in bottles for 2 weeks now, and doesnt taste ALL That pumpkin-like, but it IS good (and passes the carbomb test!)

Primary: 5 gal. Stout
Secondary: 10 gal. Belgian Witbier
On tap: IPA
Ready to brew: 10 gal. Fat Tire clone

Relax, don't worry, Have a Frew Brew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2005, 01:59 AM   #22
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 11

i have no idea, to tell you the truth. I would expect the spices to mellow out a bit, and that might reveal more pumpkin underneath.....

but I am talking out of my rear here, because I've never used pumpking or spices in a beer.

-walker

Old 10-03-2005, 02:22 AM   #23
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'd recommend halving the spices if you want the beer ready for T'day.

I made a batch last year that wasn't ready (mellowed and such) until after the New Year.

Old 10-05-2005, 06:04 PM   #24
rhinostylee
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I’d like to try a pumpkin brew for my next round, but I just put an irish dry stout in my secondary fermenter. I don’t really feel like making another irish dry stout.

What other kinds of beer would make a good pumpkin brew?

Secondary #1: American Brown Ale
Bottled/Conditioning: Irish Dry Stout
Bottled/Drinking: Store Bought Beer

Old 10-05-2005, 06:27 PM   #25
JillC25

Recipes 

Craftbeer radio podcast episode 15 talks about different pumpkin beers on the market. It was an interesting listen.

Primary:
Secondary:

Bottled: Mexican "Lite" Cervesa, Blueberry Weizen, Pumpkin Ale, Clone-Harpoon 1991 Winter Warmer, Quaker Oatmeal Stout, Cranberry Zinger
Up Next: Hook & Ladder Red Ale

Old 10-05-2005, 07:49 PM   #26
rhinostylee
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonNate
I made a pumpkin beer with 4lbs of canned pumpkin, the 100% pumpkin style without anything added plus various other grains. I spread it out on aluminum foil covered cookie sheets and baked it at 350° for an hour. This really made my house smell good , and the carmelization you get really should add to the flavor.

It is still in secondary now. I should probably bottle it soon, but the sample I tried was really good and I tasted the pumpkin.

It wasn't without troubles though: stuck mash...not very efficient and generally a pain. Next time I will double the rice hulls I use.
Did you steep the canned pumpkin in hot water with the grains, or did you boil it with your wort?
Secondary #1: American Brown Ale
Bottled/Conditioning: Irish Dry Stout
Bottled/Drinking: Store Bought Beer

Old 10-06-2005, 02:04 AM   #27
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

OK...curiosity got the better of me. While I was re-reading this thread (checking in on new comments, etc.) and I got to thinking, well, I still have 2 Pumpkin Ales from last year....hmmm?

So, if you remember, I said that I made this sometime last year for Turkey Day. And as (lousy) fate would have it, I no longer have the recipe I used since my HDs (2-250s) crashed and I hadn't backed up for about a month. Maybe I can find the source...

Anywho, I said the beer was not ready for T'day last year because it was harsh with the flavors of cloves and allspice. Very bitter. Not anything you (or me anyway) would want to share with anyone you liked.

I re-tried it at Christmastime. It was, I agreed with myself, that it was more palatable, but still not ready. I tried several, but I still would not share it with anyone because the clovy flavor was still evident. I mean who wants to drink something that tastes like watered down Ambisol?

You guys got me tempted...so a FULL YEAR later...(right now I mean) I decided to crack one of my last 2 remaining brews open.

Here's my critique of my brew:

Very nice clear amber color. Pours well, but could have a better head retention.

Medium body and well balanced (not sweet or bitter). I drank about half a glass then I poured in the yeast (swoosh bottle first).

The spicy bitterness of last year is all gone.

(Incidently, we talk about this a lot - "clear beer" that is. I always drink most of my beer when it's clear, except Weizen, before I pour in the yeast. Some people don't like the yest, some do.)

With the yeast added it clouded up to looks more like tea.

There is a very light hint of allspice and nothing else.

Aftertaste? Very, very slight. After one beer your tongue is at a place where you either "know" or "think" you know it contained any spices.

(Yes, I am buzzed one just one bottle. )

Overall: If I had 2 more cases of this I would not hesitate to share it with everyone! I think it would disappear before the head so I would label it as a great success. If I find the recipe I will make this one again.

I know a lot of brewers take notes up to a point, then they don't follow up with tasting notes. I don't know if they are ashamed or just settling for mediocre beer that will get them drunk, but if you truly critique your brews your beers as a judge would, they will improve and so will your experience.

So here goes: CONS: I found only 2 things wrong (your mileage may differ). One: It could use better retention. To counter that I would use another 1/2 to 1 lb more wheat malt in the boil and prime with DME. I'm sure that's what I did since it is my usual practice. That's all. Two: This could go two ways. First of two: Brew as normal, only do it during the winter so it would be ready for Turkey Day, or two of two: brew it in the summer and half all the spices.

That's my critique.

I believe that if I am pleased with my brew you would be also.

Cheers! Prosit!

Old 10-08-2005, 05:18 AM   #28
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts

OK, so I'm on the pumpkin-wagon. I've decided to modify a Weizenbeer kit I bought and make it a Pumpkinweizen. Hanging out at the HBS, I had a sample of their home-made pumpkin beer which was a modified amber ale.

I decided to go with a beer that's a little sweeter and fruitier by nature so I chose a Weizenbeer. At the HBS Owner's suggestion, I upgraded to a London Ale yeast instead of the stock. I'm also going to add another 1/2 pound of Caramel 10L grain to the boil and perhaps swap out some of the hops with some I have left from my last brew session.

The HBSO recommended against using pumpkin (he thought that just using spices would suffice) but I'm going to use it anyway, along with some pumpkin spice. I bought a generic 1.81 pound can of 100% pumpkin and a small jar of spice.

I have two batches that'll be in bottles soon so I'll be able to let it sit for a little while longer than if I was out of HB.

I'll report back in 6-10 weeks.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 10-09-2005, 06:52 AM   #29
Cheesefood
Recipes 

It's 12:37am and I'm brewing pumpkin beer. My house has a delicious smell from the Caramel 10L and pumpkin mash I have cooking right now. I think that the orange will work beautifully with the light wheat LME I'm adding. I bought some gelatin for pre-bottling clarification. I'm going to add 2 tbsp of pumpkin spice in the primary to give it that trademark taste.

This should be ready by Christmas, if not earlier. Something tells me that I'll end up breaking into them by Thanksgiving.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Cool Shirts.

Old 10-09-2005, 08:00 AM   #30
Cheesefood
Recipes 

It's The Great Pumpkinweizen

.5lbs of Caramel 10L (20 minute steep @ 150)
1.81 lbs canned 100% pumpkin (in grain bag with grains for 20 minutes)

(2) 3.3lb cans of Munton's Wheat LME
1oz Hallertau (60 minutes)
.5oz Tettnanger (20 minutes)
1 tbsp Irish Moss (15 minutes)
1 tbsp pumpkin spice (15 minutes)
.5oz Hallertau (5 minutes)

1 tbsp pumpkin spice seasoning in primary
Wyeast Special London (#1968)

[EDIT]

Wow, what a lot of lost wort. I ran the wort through a strainer, little by little, to get the hops and pumpkin out. I think I lost about 10-25% of my wort in the filtered out trub. Still, I'd rather have a lower yield than a lot of bad tasting beer.

What remained has a lovely pumpkin orange color that I think will add a fantastic hue and flavor. It's going to take a little while before it'll be ready to serve, but I think it will be well worth the wait. I have two batches ahead of this one to get through, plus a bottled batch that I'm not sure will ever turn out good.

[EDIT 2]

About 2" of Pumpkin-Yeast trub in the primary. I had to add ~1 gallon of water to make it a respectable batch. Still, it smelled fantastic and tasted the same. I'm hoping the extra water doesn't HURT it. If anything, it's Pumpkin Lite.

Cool Shirts.

Quick Reply