Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Pumpkin brew suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2005, 07:25 PM   #1
FrewBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Pumpkin brew suggestions

Ive been reading around several different recipes and have found a variety of techniques used in making a pumpkin brew, and I was wondering if anyone has any feedback for which ones they've found that work best.

1) Ive seen some people bake the pumpkin, peel the skin and cube it then boil it, then put the cubed pumpkin in for the fermentation.

2) Ive seen where some people do it the same, except that they don't cary the pumpkin over to the fermentation phase

3) Ive seen some people put the raw pumpkin in at the begining of the boiling phase and just boil it for a longer period before adding the malt, etc.

4)Ive seen someone that just added the pumpkin into the fermentation bucket, and didnt boil it at all.

Anyone have any feedback on any of these methods? or any other method that proved to work out well. Ive heard of crushing the pumpkin itself up, but this seems like it would lead to more sediment, both in the fermentation bucket and the bottles themselves.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2005, 08:00 PM   #2
Toilet Rocker

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've wondered about these questions myself. There are links in numerous threads on this topic that support each practice. Personally, I'm baking it cubed, then adding it the partial mash. I read that the pumpkin needs the enzymes in the Pale Malt preboil to extract the sugars. Not sure about the chemistry here, but that was the route I was going to follow. Do you have a recipe in mind yet?

Another conflicting theory is that the pumpkin adds texture only and that because spices are the source of flavor, you can even skip the pumpkin. That sounds so chincy...

Good luck and definitely let us know what you do.

When people ask what I do for a living, I say I brew beer. No, not as a profession, but to live.

Old 09-14-2005, 03:29 AM   #3
JillC25

Recipes 

I did the same method as gaelone. I agree- I don't know how much the pumpkin will contribute to the resulting flavor, but I can't imagine brewing pumpkin beer w/out the pumpkin

Thanks to Orelse's advice- I also added some pectic enzyme to help w/ clarification & "Pectinase enzymes reduce the size of the pectin molecule and also prevent the fragments from gelling."

I will let you know how it turns out... in 2 or 3 months

Primary:
Secondary:

Bottled: Mexican "Lite" Cervesa, Blueberry Weizen, Pumpkin Ale, Clone-Harpoon 1991 Winter Warmer, Quaker Oatmeal Stout, Cranberry Zinger
Up Next: Hook & Ladder Red Ale

Old 09-14-2005, 04:03 AM   #4
PT Ray
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I am partial to adding it to the mash. It seems that no matter of the method, there are pros and cons. I have used canned pumkin which is already baked and with pumpkin being the only ingredient listed. Adding to the mash you get the conversion advantage but at the cost of an easily stuck mash. I have never added to the boil but appears to be a more friendly method.

Old 09-14-2005, 04:13 AM   #5
FrewBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

2 Small pumpkins

Cubed and removed rinds, broiled for ~15 minutes.
removed from broiler, added to 1 1/2 gallons of cold water, brought to boil
remove from heat
add grains, seep for 20-30 minutes
remove grains, discard
bring to boil again, then remove from heat
add malt, stir, add malt extracts and hops
stir until disolved
add heat until it boils and foams
remove until foam subsides,
repeat last 2 steps until it doesnt foam when under heat

During final boiling, add:
2 tbsp of cinamon
dash of nutmeg
pinch of anise seed

Note: being that this is my first batch, Im using True Brew's Irish stout kit. I'll let ya know how it goes!

Primary: 5 gal. Stout
Secondary: 10 gal. Belgian Witbier
On tap: IPA
Ready to brew: 10 gal. Fat Tire clone

Relax, don't worry, Have a Frew Brew

Old 09-14-2005, 04:21 AM   #6
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've made Pumpkin Brews before and I don't get what the big deal is all about ... in the end you only taste the spices.

But...I'm gonna try it again!

Old 09-14-2005, 08:16 PM   #7
FrewBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Ive had a few pumpkin ale's where the taste was quite noticeable... and the way I look at it, is even if it isn't... I'm sure it'll still taste damn good at Thanksgiving dinner . As for mine... when i tasted it (from the vial I used to take the specific gravity) it WAS noticeable (not overwhelming though) and did smell of Pumpkin Pie when I was making my wort last night.

Can't wait for it to be done!

Primary: 5 gal. Stout
Secondary: 10 gal. Belgian Witbier
On tap: IPA
Ready to brew: 10 gal. Fat Tire clone

Relax, don't worry, Have a Frew Brew

Old 09-14-2005, 09:33 PM   #8
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just got my issue of BYO in the mail and there are a couple of recipes in there. I'll have to look at it more closely when I get home, but I do recall one of the recipes used the cubing method stated earlier, another used 100% canned pumpkin - not pie filling, which already has sugar added - just 100% pumpkin. To me, this would be easiest. This might help.

Old 09-14-2005, 09:48 PM   #9
oregonNate
Recipes 

I made a pumpkin beer with 4lbs of canned pumpkin, the 100% pumpkin style without anything added plus various other grains. I spread it out on aluminum foil covered cookie sheets and baked it at 350° for an hour. This really made my house smell good , and the carmelization you get really should add to the flavor.

It is still in secondary now. I should probably bottle it soon, but the sample I tried was really good and I tasted the pumpkin.

It wasn't without troubles though: stuck mash...not very efficient and generally a pain. Next time I will double the rice hulls I use.

--Nate

Coming up: Foreign Stout
Primary:
#13 Smokedbowl Porter
Secondary:
#12 Doppelbock (lagering)
Kegged:
#11 Ratebeer's Brown Ale Revisited
#10 Back-forty Barleywine (Aging)
Bottled:
#9 Amarillo IPA
#8 Christmas Abbey
#7 Pumpkin Abbey
#6 Robust Porter
#5 Blackberry Wheat
#4 Double White

Old 09-14-2005, 10:39 PM   #10
Tony

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quick question...would collecting a gallon of first runoff and boiling it down with a small amount of pumpkin in it, in an effort to carmelize it help lock in more or some pumpkin flavor?

Dead Soldier:Hop Rod Rye Stout
Dead Soldier: Imperial Hell Fire Ale

Quick Reply