Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Pumpkin Ale Help!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2007, 01:30 AM   #11
z987k
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I like the alki pumpkin pie, but, the cooking of the pie would get rid of that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2007, 02:22 PM   #12
Patch
Recipes 

Couldn't you rack the beer off the top in to a carboy. Then strain the pumpkin trub into the carboy through a sanitized sieve or a finer jelly bag to extract the remaining beer? Never dealt with this problem before... heck only just bottled my first batch of beer ever on Saturday... but, I'd think this should remove the majority of unwanted solids.

Patch

Old 04-26-2007, 05:38 PM   #13
chimchim5040
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seefresh
Is that with carved pumpkin or canned?
I went to the local farmer's market and picked up a few smaller pumpkins. (Allegedly better for eating, since they have less seeds)

Old 04-26-2007, 07:47 PM   #14
FlyingHorse
Formerly Bike N Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimchim5040
I went to the local farmer's market and picked up a few smaller pumpkins. (Allegedly better for eating, since they have less seeds)
Actually, many of the traditional orange "jack-o-lantern"-looking pumpkins (regardless of size or number of seeds) aren't the best for eating (or, one would assume, brewing). There are literally hundreds of varieties of "pumpkin", and many of the good ones for eating (including those that end up in cans at the grocery store) don't look like "pumpkins" at all. They might be blue-green or tan, and be shaped more like acorn or butternut squash.

You'll probably get much better results (ie more pumpkin flavor, more fermentables) from an acorn squash, or by asking at the farmers market "what's the best pie pumpkin". Just don't be surprised if they hand you something that doesn't look like you could carve a face into it...

Old 04-27-2007, 01:35 PM   #15
fiddup_is_a_middup

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch
Couldn't you rack the beer off the top in to a carboy. Then strain the pumpkin trub into the carboy through a sanitized sieve or a finer jelly bag to extract the remaining beer? Never dealt with this problem before... heck only just bottled my first batch of beer ever on Saturday... but, I'd think this should remove the majority of unwanted solids.

Patch
This would probably not be a good Idea. Too much risk of oxidation.

All you can do is live and learn, and enjoy the pumpkin brew you do have!
Conditioning: 1.) None 2:) None 3.) None
On Tap:: 1.) Hefeweizen 2.) ESB 3.) Oktoberfest 4.) Big Nut Brown Ale

Old 09-18-2012, 03:17 AM   #16
gosnelgk
Recipes 

Default making pumkin ale soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimchim5040 View Post
I have brewed two pumpkin ales in the last year and found it much easier to cube the pumpkin, caramelize in the oven, then put the cubes into a grain bag for the boil.... No muss, no fuss!!
Hello,
At what temperature and how long to you bake the pumpkin to caramelize it? It is fresh pumkin that you are talking about? I plan on making pumkin ale in a week and I am trying to figure out the best method to clean up the beer from the goop in the fermentor. Thanks for the tip.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:20 PM   #17
SpeedYellow
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosnelgk

Hello,
At what temperature and how long to you bake the pumpkin to caramelize it? It is fresh pumkin that you are talking about? I plan on making pumkin ale in a week and I am trying to figure out the best method to clean up the beer from the goop in the fermentor. Thanks for the tip.
You get an A for searching, but an F for resurrecting a 5 year old thread. Most of the highly discussed pumpkin beer recipes cite an oven temp, typically 350 to 400. Doesn't really matter much, and you're not really caramelizing the pumpkin since it has so little sugar.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:15 AM   #18
JDFlow
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Mash the pumpkin, don't boil it. I spread pumpkin puree on a cookie sheet and baked it for an hour at 350 then threw it in the mash. The beer has a nice creamy smooth pumpkin flavor. Mashed for 1 hour at 155.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:41 PM   #19
Grantman1
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDFlow View Post
Mash the pumpkin, don't boil it. I spread pumpkin puree on a cookie sheet and baked it for an hour at 350 then threw it in the mash. The beer has a nice creamy smooth pumpkin flavor. Mashed for 1 hour at 155.
^^Agreed. I mashed the pumpkin for mine and had very little pumpkin in the fermenter once it was said and done. I got the same result - smooth pumpkin flavor and mouthfeel.

Don't get caught up in using a million pounds of pumpkin in your recipe; the flavor comes from the spices you use, not the pumpkin itself.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:02 PM   #20
JDFlow
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantman1 View Post
^^Agreed. I mashed the pumpkin for mine and had very little pumpkin in the fermenter once it was said and done. I got the same result - smooth pumpkin flavor and mouthfeel.

Don't get caught up in using a million pounds of pumpkin in your recipe; the flavor comes from the spices you use, not the pumpkin itself.
Good point. There's a recent Basic Brewing episode where they do a blind taste test of a beer brewed with both pumpkin and spices and one brewed with only spices. The one with only spices was chosen blindly as the better pumpkin ale.

Quick Reply