The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Pumping from MLT to kettle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2012, 03:15 PM   #1
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 20 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 313 Times on 235 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Pumping from MLT to kettle

My mlt uses a stainless braid as the manifold. Any reason I can't pump the wort from the mlt to my kettle? Or anything I need to be weary of while doing this? Sucking grain particulate through?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
processhead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Are you talking about using the pump as part of the run-off process?

I think the pumping rate for an unmodified pump would exceed the optimum run-off rate from your MLT. You could have problems with bed compaction or other issues.

This might be possible to do if you throttled the pump discharge with a valve to meet a slower run-off rate.

If you are running off into a container by gravity flow, and then tranferring from the container to your boil kettle, then the pump should work fine for the transfer at it full pumping capacity.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #3
iijakii
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Some people claim to have issues with pumping from the MLT and getting stuck sparges, but there are tonnes and tonnes of people that do it without issue. I don't know if there's a flow trick you need to worry about.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:35 PM   #4
RoadKing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't know anything about braids. I have a full false bottom and circulate continually throughout mash at full speed (RIMS). When its time to sparge (Fly) I pump it into boil kettle but cut it down to a trickle via a valve. I believe batch spargers do the same thing only they run it wide open untill it is drained. I did put a vacum gauge on the down stream side to make sure the mash isn't sticking, which it rarely does, and if it does stick, I shut off the pump, stir, and let it rip again.

Quick Reply