The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > PSA: Foolproof Stuck-Ferment-Fixer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2011, 07:37 PM   #51
jbrookeiv
Beer Review Dude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPDISXR4Ti View Post
Just found this thread, given my current stuck fermentation - see thread here...
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/stuc...1056-a-242554/

Any way, what about a modified version of this method? Brew up a small (~1 gal) batch of just a basic 2-row Pale. No hops, just a simple deal done with a cheese-cloth bag. Get that going as quick as possible in a 6 gallon container, and once it's good and frothy, vigorously pour the stuck 5-gallon batch into it. Yes, no, maybe?

What OG should I aim for with the small batch? 1.030 like a typical starter, or get it up high (~1.060) to get more vigorous activity going?
I'd probably shoot for 1.040. You're essentially making a large starter. If you want even more growth, grab an aquarium pump and aeration stone from your local pet store, should run you about $15 total. That'll send the yeasties into uber-reproduction mode.

My Beer Review Blog: Beer Review Dude
My Craft Beer Social Network: Craft Beer Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
I think a more pertinent question is where is AB and Miller Coors getting all of their horse urine?
Primary: Belgian Pale Ale w. Brett | Saison | Mango Pulp Wine | Graff, 10 gal

Bottled / Kegged: Hopped Imperial Wheat | AK47 Pale Mild, BIAB | AHS 20th Anniv. IPA, No Chill | Apfelwein
Leftover IIPA, No Chill | All-Molasses Ale | BIAB Black IPA | BIAB Hoppy Stout | JAOM | RyePA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 02:57 PM   #52
Apt23Brewery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Just had my first stop, and I ended up adding 1lb of corn sugar, (I'm a rookie so forgive any mistake). Question for everyone. How do you save a yeast cake? Wouldn't this get contaminated when left exsposed to air?

Apt 23 Brewery
Our Imagination, your Delight

Old 04-03-2012, 02:22 PM   #53
Prymal
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I might just have to try this, I have a 1.104 RIS that stopped at 1.034 and I really wanted it down to 1.025 at least. I have an S04 DIPA that should be done in about a week maybe ill wait and give it a try.

Desert Basin Brewery
Future Brews:
Fermenting: Desert Basin Pale Ale, Ninkasi Tricerihops Clone
Bottled: Desert Knight RIS, Scottish Winter Warmer
Kegged: Cleaning out the closet Porter
Gallons Brewed 2013: 15
Gallons Brewed 2012: 90.0
Gallons Brewed 2011: 77.5

Old 04-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #54
DPDISXR4Ti
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prymal View Post
I might just have to try this, I have a 1.104 RIS that stopped at 1.034 and I really wanted it down to 1.025 at least. I have an S04 DIPA that should be done in about a week maybe ill wait and give it a try.
I'm not sure which "this" you're referring to, but the thing that totally worked for me was the amalyze enzyme. I just had a bottle of the beer I saved with this stuff last night, and it's actually turned out to be one of my best ever. Hard to imagine I was ready to dump this batch.

Brad

Old 04-20-2012, 03:11 PM   #55
bruin_ale
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Reviving this thread as I just did this with great success (for the previous poster - "this" is racking a stuck ferment on top of a healthy yeast cake from another batch)

I brewed a Belgian golden strong with an OG of 1.09 (including the 2lbs of sugar I added near the end of the ferment) and a Saison on back to back weeks. WLP570 for the BGS and Wyeast 3711 for the Saison. I think the rest of the story tells itself, but after three weeks the BGS was stuck at 1.025 and the Saison (at 2 weeks) was at 1.000 (yeah, freaky 3711). Since they were very similar beers to begin with, the choice was a no brainer. Racked the Saison to a keg to condition for a few more weeks and rack the BGS onto the healthy cake of 3711. It started bubbling almost right away (could have been CO2 coming out of solution, but hard to say) - a mini krausen in a few hours and now 5 days later its down to 1.01 and tastes awesome! Still bubbling slowly, should be ready to cold crash mid next week I hope.

I wasn't intending the Saison as a backup yeast cake when I brewed it but I probably couldn't have chosen a better yeast given the circumstances.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:14 PM   #56
bgs8884
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

i just made a BPA and pitched it on top of a previous batch made with trappist ale 500 yeast. Ive read a few dozen posts about dumping on top of a previous batch yeast cake and how that i should measure it out. I read that by pouring onto a yeast cake will result in an active fermentation within hours and i should use a blowoff tube.

its been 24-30 hours so far and still no bubblin in the airlock. is this a time to worry or am i just being impatient

Old 08-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #57
DPDISXR4Ti
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgs8884 View Post
its been 24-30 hours so far and still no bubblin in the airlock. is this a time to worry or am i just being impatient
If it's not re-started today, I'd be thinking about a "Plan B". Note my comments above about using amalyze enzyme to successfully re-energize a stuck fermentation. I won't even bother with any other method in the future - this was too simple and effective.

Brad

Old 08-07-2012, 04:51 PM   #58
bgs8884
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPDISXR4Ti View Post
If it's not re-started today, I'd be thinking about a "Plan B". Note my comments above about using amalyze enzyme to successfully re-energize a stuck fermentation. I won't even bother with any other method in the future - this was too simple and effective.
I spoke too soon. When i left this morning, the air lock was bubbling like crazy. Took closer to 36-40 hours, but it is going strong now. Thanks for the reply.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:33 PM   #59
Karkinos
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

This worked great for me. I didn't see any air lock activity (I didn't watch it, either), but I checked the gravity after two days and mine moved from .020 to .017. Brew Target told me to anticipate .016 for a finish, so I'm pretty happy. I'm going to let it sit for another few days and see if it get to 16 or lower.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #60
DerrangedPOJO
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I just had a witbier stuck at 1.020. Actually bottled the stuff before i realized it was really at 1.020. So i continued to bottle. Yes i had caps blow off. I did take precaution and put in a closed container. So i re put back into carboy and added amylase enzyme and for a week now it has been bubbling away. Will edit once i take a gravity reading in probably another week give or take 2 days or so.

Ok it has now dropped about 12 points. Still has activity of fermentation so going to check n a week.

Quick Reply