Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Problem with Auto Siphon/Dry Hopping Strategy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2010, 02:19 PM   #11
milwaukee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

@Binaryvisions. That's a good suggestion too. That thought had crossed my mind--but it kind worried me putting dyed nylon in sanitizer... just wondering what might leach. Still though. I appreciate the suggestion. Maybe I'm being too paranoid.

@Buzzcraft. Per your suggestion, I'm going to run that experiment this weekend and get back to you guys back with the results.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2010, 03:28 PM   #12
brewagentjay
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm in same boat I must bottle a dry hopped beer this weekend....I used pellets but I see the hop material on top and some in beer. Good suggestions....

I'm not sure which route I'll take but must find way to get hops material out.

Primary - Apfelwein v2, JChrapewein, Light Scottish Ale, SW 420 v2, Devil Dog Ale Version 2
Secondary - OxiClean
Just Bottled - Jay's Irish Stout
On Deck - The Orginal Fat Tire
Planning - "Hail to the Chief -IIPA", "The Straw Berry Blonde"
NTBA - Wicked Ale

Semper Fi

Old 03-19-2010, 01:55 AM   #13
binaryvisions
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukee View Post
@Binaryvisions. That's a good suggestion too. That thought had crossed my mind--but it kind worried me putting dyed nylon in sanitizer... just wondering what might leach. Still though. I appreciate the suggestion. Maybe I'm being too paranoid.
I was concerned as well so I cut up some of the material and let it soak overnight in my regular cleaning concentration of Star San to see what would happen. It was none the worse for wear in the morning and the Star San was still clear (no evidence of dye) so I went ahead and used it. I wrung it out very well after I sanitized it.

I don't know if it matters, but I bought the regular "flesh" colored pantyhose, the cheapest ones that Wal-Mart had. I think they were $1.99.

Boy there's a phrase I never thought I'd say!

Old 04-03-2010, 03:34 PM   #14
milwaukee
Recipes 

@BuzzCraft. On the experiment. I ran it to be sure the problem was what I thought it was.

It was.

The internal seal in the autosiphon... this would be the rubber disc separating the liquid from the column of air that surrounds the cane inside the siphon... that seal could be overpowered and leak air if there was something obstructing the flow in.

As you might expect... the problem was also affected by the force of the siphon (height/tube length).

And. Sadly. The beer--which tasted super for about two weeks--is starting to taste oxidized. Oh well. New batch today. Won't make the same mistake. Thanks to everyone for all the advice and techniques.

Old 04-04-2010, 03:14 PM   #15
BuzzCraft
Recipes 

bummer.....sorry to hear that. i'm surprised, but i looked closely at the seal on my autosiphon and can see how it would happen if the siphon is strong enough. another one to chalk up to experience, i guess....too bad it came at the expense of good beer. drink fast!

Old 07-12-2010, 09:39 PM   #16
HenryKDuff
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smizak View Post
I had the same problem. It worked fine until the hops hit the siphon tip and then it just stopped immediately. Lost a gallon of beer.

My solution is to tie a nylon hop bag around the hose end in the bottling bucket to catch any loose hop particles that come through. I also only use pellets, no problems since.
So tying it to the end of the hose doesn't cause any oxidation problems? I tried it on the auto siphon end this past weekend and bailed after about a gallon because of bubbles/gaps in the hose.

Also, do you ever need more than one bag? I've got an IPA ready to bottle this weekend with quite a bit of hops (pellets) in it - I can easily see it clogging the bag (I dryhopped and didn't use hop bags or filtering for the original hops).

Old 07-12-2010, 10:08 PM   #17
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It hasn't been mentioned, but how do you store your autosyphon after cleaning? Assembled or apart?

Store it apart. The seal will "relax" at room temp versus being squeezed all the time when stored inside the tube.

And be sure to wet both pieces prior to assembly...it acts as a lubricant.

You may also look at not pushing the inner cane in all the way to the bottom.

Every once in a while I see some air bubbles then pull it back out about 1-2 inches and they disappear.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:48 PM   #18
smizak
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryKDuff View Post
So tying it to the end of the hose doesn't cause any oxidation problems? I tried it on the auto siphon end this past weekend and bailed after about a gallon because of bubbles/gaps in the hose.

Also, do you ever need more than one bag? I've got an IPA ready to bottle this weekend with quite a bit of hops (pellets) in it - I can easily see it clogging the bag (I dryhopped and didn't use hop bags or filtering for the original hops).
Tie it so the bag has plenty of room to catch stuff and not clog. Don't snug it up to the end of the hose. It has never seemed to affect my siphon at all, as it's on the end of the hose, not the siphon tip.

On Deck: IPA
Primary 1: Air :-(
Primary 2: Air :-(
Primary 3: Air :-(
Primary 4: Air :-(

Bottled: Oatmeal Stout

Old 07-13-2010, 05:22 PM   #19
greenbirds
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by smizak View Post
Tie it so the bag has plenty of room to catch stuff and not clog. Don't snug it up to the end of the hose. It has never seemed to affect my siphon at all, as it's on the end of the hose, not the siphon tip.
I have successfully used a similar method that relies on the same principle.

I sanitize a big nylon paint strainer bag (the same ones people use for giant "hop baskets" hanging above the boil kettle) by scrunching it down into a pitcher of Starsan for a while to sanitize, then shake it out until most of the star-san is gone. Insert the auto-siphon (with the tip attachment) into the paint strainer bag, then shove the whole thing down into the dry hopped carboy and siphon as usual.

The folds and excess material surrounding the siphon inlet give plenty of surface area for beer to flow through without clogging on the hop debris. Have never had a bubble problem using this method.

Tags
dry hopping, oxidization, siphon

Quick Reply