Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Priming in conical fermenter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
buddman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default Priming in conical fermenter

Just order my first 14.5 gallon stainless steel conical fermenter. I was wondering if anyone has experience using the conical to prime their brew before bottling? After dumping your trub and yeast, I can't think of anything that would prevent one from adding your priming sugars right into the fermenter and bottling from there. Seems like one less chance of contamination and oxidation to me. Am I missing something here? Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
ILBMF
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't see that being a problem.

''Once, I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken'' (Read that somewhere, just loved it. Sorry if I stole it...consider it a compliment)

''I don't allow work during drinking hours''

Old 01-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #3
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Brew Setups
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I think it would be difficult to get a good consistent mix just by dumping your priming sugar mix into the conical. I would still rack on top of your priming mixture in a bottling bucket and bottle from there.

The guy who I brew with swears by carbonation tabs. A little more expensive than just priming sugar, but in your case, you could save alot of trouble by just dropping carb tabs into each bottle and bottling straight from the conical.

The real issue I see is....you had room for a 14.5 gallon conical fermenter, but not a kegging setup?

Primary #1 - Midnight Ryeder (Midnight Wheat and Rye)
Primary #2 - Mango Habenero Berliner Weisse
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Oktoberfest
Keg #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Keg #3 - Pumpkin Ale
Bottled - NONE!

Old 01-03-2013, 09:56 PM   #4
ILBMF
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Oh yeah, not to mention the bottled beer doesn't come close in taste. I honestly would not brew if I had to bottle it. I brew about 20 gallons every 6 weeks (10 gallons each batch) and that's enough work between the mashing, sparging, cleaning, kegging, etc...

''Once, I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken'' (Read that somewhere, just loved it. Sorry if I stole it...consider it a compliment)

''I don't allow work during drinking hours''

Old 01-04-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
buddman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopherM View Post
I think it would be difficult to get a good consistent mix just by dumping your priming sugar mix into the conical. I would still rack on top of your priming mixture in a bottling bucket and bottle from there.

The guy who I brew with swears by carbonation tabs. A little more expensive than just priming sugar, but in your case, you could save alot of trouble by just dropping carb tabs into each bottle and bottling straight from the conical.

The real issue I see is....you had room for a 14.5 gallon conical fermenter, but not a kegging setup?
I haven't tried the carb tabs, yet. Worth exploring that option. I'm just trying to keep it REAL right now. I really want to start casking my brew. It's a hobby for me and I don't really mind the bottling, although I am going to start using the 22 oz. bottles. Really would like to get a beer engine for casking. Thanks for your comments.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #6
rbaysden1
Recipes 

All I use are carb drops when I bottle. I do 5 gallon batches and bottle usually a six pack for aging. When I do bottle the drips work every time.

Quick Reply