Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Priming/Carbonation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2006, 02:40 AM   #1
Shambolic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Priming/Carbonation

Here's the story:

I always prime each of my bottles individually (this way I can bottle straight from the secondary; there are no concerns about mixing in the priming solution properly etc.). For my first handful of brews, I primed with ordinary table sugar. This always gave me an ideal level of carbonation. However, those beers all went a bit funky in the bottles, and were quite unpleasant after a little while.

So I decided to switch to priming with dextrose. I primed with the same scoop as I used previously. This resulted in two quite flat beers, as powdered dextrose is much less dense than crystalline table sugar!! Whoops...
So then I used one and a half times as much in the next two brews. The second of these is particulary flat - even more so than the one with the smaller amount of priming sugar!!

I am still getting some carbonation, so there must be yeast in the bottles. Can anyone suggest anything?

Also, for the stout I bottled yesterday, I primed with DME, as I read this can improve head etc. compared to priming with sugar. I used more again than I had been of the sugar.
Does anyone think I'll have any trouble with this? Does DME result in it taking longer to carbonate or anything?

Bottled/Drinking:
Common Swill
Stormy Night Porter
Lobrau Amber Ale (Mk. II)
Rain Dog Ale
Quantum Pale Ale

Coming Up:
Maybe a pilsner...
Quantum Pale Ale (Mk. II)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2006, 03:54 AM   #2
Passload

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Yes DME will take longer to carbonate fully. Also IMHO priming each bottle may not distribute even.

Cheers! J.R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindLemonLars
Relax, and trust the yeast to do their job, it's the one thing they are really good at!

Zuckerflüsschen Brauend Firma
On Deck: Whatever I Want
Primary: Sugarcreek Amber Ale
Brite Tank:
Aging: Philr-er-up Rockwell
Drinking/Kegged: The Golden Quitty

"It's just like anything else"
"It's not rocket science"

Old 02-06-2006, 04:42 AM   #3
Sasquatch

Recipes 

No offense, Sham, but you've forsaken the priming method that almost everyone uses and adores - mixing a BOILED solution of sugar into the batch, in exchange for an unpredictable, unsanitary method, which, by your own account, does not work worth a pinch of, well, sugar. So, why not try the other way, which is almost guaranteed to work perfectly each and every time. Instead of worrying about what type of sugar, just use a process that works better.

Primary: Lager

Secondary: Sangiovese, Honey Nut Brown, some Pilsner/ale kinda thing that just won't quit...

Bottled:
Tar Sands Porter, Special Dark Bitter,Oaky Red ale, Hammer & Tongs Black Ale, Black Draught, Cooper's Bitter, Baron's Pilsner
Super Saazy Saaz Pilsner Saaz (It's a little green, yet)

Old 02-06-2006, 07:07 PM   #4
casebrew
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Syphon you beer out of the fermenter into a priming bucket that already has the sugar in it, then bottle from there. Use any sterilised 5 gal tub, no need to spend anything, the small extra effort will sure improve your beer.

I seriously doubt that there would be any difference in using different sugars to prime with. A typical 5 gallon batch has 8 pounds of sugars in it, 3/4 cup of suar to prime would be only about 3% of the total, that would be nuthin compared to all the body and flavor from the 'grist' sugars.

So far, I've had more experience thinking than I've had brewing....you don't think they are mutually exclusive, do you?

72 batches so far,
48 wine, mostly Loquat, peach, plum, prickly pear
23 beers and ciders
1 sauerkraut
1 Tequila, from a prickly pear wine experiment that didn't work. I call it "Prickly Heat"

Old 02-06-2006, 07:18 PM   #5
cgravier
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default old and in the way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shambolic
Here's the story:

I always prime each of my bottles individually (this way I can bottle straight from the secondary; there are no concerns about mixing in the priming solution properly etc.).?
you are a true old-school spirit, which deservres respect...however, dry-priming like they did back in the day, seems so wrong on so many levels. first of which the result you are getting are inconsintant, and even unpleasent. It also must be time and labor consuming, standing over each bottle with a mini spoon filled w/ a microscopic amount of sugar. The other problem, which deals with consistancey is unless you weigh the sugar on a scale, simply using a scoop will almost certainly be not very accurate.

The simplisity of primary in the 21st century, is that its easier, less time consuming, you get repeatable results, and low risk of infection.

even if you dont have a bottling bucket its still way better to boil the sugar/water, cool it a tad in an ice bath, then dump it in. now with your racking cane slowy stir for 2 minutes and you ready to bottle...and more importantly, enter a new millenium...

Old 02-07-2006, 01:52 AM   #6
Shambolic
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

While not agreeing with all the points made...

Okay, maybe I should try the 'modern' method from now on. I will still bottle straight from the secondary though, as I only have one primary and one secondary fermenter, and nothing else that can hold enough liquid.

If I'm going to do this, I need some advice - how much dextrose or DME should I use for, say, a 20L batch?

And I assume I mix the priming stuff into as little boiled water as possible, to avoid watering down the brew...?

Bottled/Drinking:
Common Swill
Stormy Night Porter
Rain Dog Ale
Quantum Pale Ale

Coming Up:
Maybe a pilsner...

Old 02-07-2006, 03:29 AM   #7
El Pistolero

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

5 oz. of corn sugar, or 7.5 oz. of DME is normal, boiled for about 10 minutes in 2 cups of water.

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

Old 02-07-2006, 03:32 AM   #8
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I usually dissolve the sugar or DME in just enough water to get it into solution, about a cup or two. As for the amount of sugar, start with what the recipe calls for and see what results you get, then adjust accordingly for your next batch.
For the record, I posted this at the same time as El P. Note: This is for Sasquatch because he's a right ruddy git.

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Old 02-07-2006, 04:27 AM   #9
Sasquatch

Recipes 

I've got better things to do than point out when someone's post is a blatant ripoff of the post above.

For 20 L, I would shoot for about a cup of dextrose for a lager, and a bit less, like maybe 7/8 for an ale. But that's for high altitude too, which seems to take a bit more to get the total diffused gas count up there.

Primary: Lager

Secondary: Sangiovese, Honey Nut Brown, some Pilsner/ale kinda thing that just won't quit...

Bottled:
Tar Sands Porter, Special Dark Bitter,Oaky Red ale, Hammer & Tongs Black Ale, Black Draught, Cooper's Bitter, Baron's Pilsner
Super Saazy Saaz Pilsner Saaz (It's a little green, yet)

Old 02-23-2006, 11:09 PM   #10
Shambolic
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch
For 20 L, I would shoot for about a cup of dextrose for a lager, and a bit less, like maybe 7/8 for an ale. But that's for high altitude too, which seems to take a bit more to get the total diffused gas count up there.
Just to make sure we're on the same horse (or something)...
One cup is 250mL over in the US of A just like it is here, right?

Bottled/Drinking:
Common Swill
Stormy Night Porter
Rain Dog Ale
Quantum Pale Ale

Coming Up:
Maybe a pilsner...

Quick Reply