Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Primary is too full......help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2005, 02:38 AM   #11
smorris
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, I was going to look at the attachment and then

smorris, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation

I guess I've been bad.....

At any rate, I have the cap closed on the airlock with a 1/32 hole drilled in it for venting. The airlock itself is filled with some leftover iodophor solution. I figured that if I left the cap unlatched 2 things would happen. The center could float high enough to not stay submerged at the base and the cats would be playing floor hockey with the top.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2005, 03:15 AM   #12
Dark_Ale
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightwingnut
I just saw pictures of some guys fermentation...he had the cap on...but I still don't get it.
The caps are made to vent. Oh wait I use the cheap ones.....The ones with the red cap????? It is made to vent, filler up and blow through the bottom you will see, but I never uses the one in the pic, so mabe I better keep my mouth shut......LOL

Old 01-16-2005, 12:27 PM   #13
torpshootr

Recipes 

Quote:
Okay, seriously, now. Here's a picture of an airlock (well, duh!). So you're telling me the piece on the far left...the cap...stays on during fermentation? Wouldn't the whole thing blow off once the gasses built up???
I have the same style of airlock as your picture shows. The cap has small holes that allow it to vent. The cap should stay on.

Old 01-16-2005, 03:33 PM   #14
Dark_Ale
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpshootr
I have the same style of airlock as your picture shows. The cap has small holes that allow it to vent. The cap should stay on.
I agree they are made to vent unless you have a factory defect......Then in that case ya it would probably make a big mess......LOL

Old 01-17-2005, 01:22 AM   #15
rightwingnut

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah, I'm an idiot...took a look at the cap...small holes...oh, well, no harm done, I think. (I hope). I tasted the brew while bottling it...tasted very good, but maybe a bit too sweet...we'll see.

Old 01-17-2005, 03:18 PM   #16
Dark_Ale
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Yeah, I'm an idiot...took a look at the cap...small holes...oh, well, no harm done, I think. (I hope). I tasted the brew while bottling it...tasted very good, but maybe a bit too sweet...we'll see.
Ya I dont know why you would need the lid anyway, you have water or some sort of liquid in the airlock any way, although I made a starter for a batch the other day, I think I put vodka in the airlock, It was venting so fast that the liquid blew out or evaporated or something, long as the beer is good who cares.......well time for a cold one.....

Old 01-18-2005, 02:00 PM   #17
Brewman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You want the air to roll around the bottom edge of the lock through the water so it bubbles around the lock, the cap keeps its submerged...... otherwise it would just float there...

most problems with contaminatin are before fermenting and after fermenting, durring it the yeast kills most of the problems........

Old 01-18-2005, 04:23 PM   #18
Janx

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewman
most problems with contaminatin are before fermenting and after fermenting, durring it the yeast kills most of the problems........
Totally. That's why a big, vigorous yeast starter will solve a lot of infection problems before they ever happen. The yeast simply outcompetes everything else.

Janx

Quick Reply