New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Primary to secondary Racking ?s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2006, 01:05 AM   #1
WeretheBrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Primary to secondary Racking ?s

Ok. First off, I bought a book, how to brew for dummies. As well as reading www.howtobrew.com

The dummy book says to hook the tubing up to the spigot of the primary fermenter... The howtobrew says siphon but as yoru siphoning keep the tube in the primary a few inches from the bottom to avoid sucking up yeast and other particles ETC. Which do I do?

My kit has a primary fermenter, a BOTTLING BUCKET WITH SPIGOT, and a carboy...

I should use the primary fermenter and use the siphon method from howtobrew correct?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2006, 01:13 AM   #2
RookieBrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeretheBrews
I should use the primary fermenter and use the siphon method from howtobrew correct?
Yeah, thats what I would do. Some fermenters have a spigot, but you will have a lot more control of the transfer with a siphon (i.e. pull less trub over).

Old 05-12-2006, 01:15 AM   #3
jrp3
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Honestly, you can use either method you prefer or feel more comfortable with, since your kit has both a primary fermenter and a bottling bucket w/ spigot. My kit doesn't have a primary fermenter, so I do primary fermentation in my bottling bucket and hook the tubing to the spigot when time to rack to secondary. Personally, I'm more comfortable with this method anyway, because I don't have to fool with a siphon. The amount of trub and sediment I get from the primary is not a lot and it settles out in the secondary just fine.

Kegged/Drinking: Wicked Strawberry
Kegged/Drinking: Kolsch with double hops (Imperial Kolsch?)
Kegged/Aging: Christmas Cheer
Bottled: What, are you kidding? I have kegs now!

Quick Reply