Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Primary Fermenting in a Corny Keg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2009, 07:32 PM   #41
Hugh_Jass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I did this past go around, only once, though. That batch is currently being cold crashed.

I've another batch that's still fermenting. I'll lightly shake them daily over the next week to see if I can squeak an extra few points out of the yeast.

I was also thinking I could lay the kegs on their side with the gas post up to try and get more surface area and less convection. Dunno if that would work. If the shaking does is not productive, I'll probably try that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2009, 02:31 PM   #42
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Update:
I took the kegs for a daily walk over the past week - rolled them around the basement. These beers (two separate 10 gallon batches) finished at 1.012 and 1.014. There might be something to keeping the yeast in suspension.

Next time around, I'll take one corny for a walk and leave one alone. I'll post the results.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:50 PM   #43
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

How many experiments were there where they got 2 points higher FG in a corny? You got 2 points higher on two identical brews which just illustrates that a 2 point higher FG in just one or two trials doesn't mean much. Could be due to any one of several things. Seems they'd have to repeat it several times with the same results to really draw any valid conclusions.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 01-06-2010, 05:34 PM   #44
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter View Post
Have you tried agitating mid ferment?
+1 to mixing things up. I think this is a good practice even if you're not using a corny, especially in things you want to finish with low FG, like IPA's, etc. Even though it goes against the idea of "closed fermentation", I like to add whole hops in after a few days and agitate gently. By doing this you would rouse the yeast, and simultaneously begin dry-hopping which will incidentally reach its floral/aromatic peak in 7-10 days. At that point, you could cold crash, transfer, and force carb. You'd save about a week by not having to dry hop in secondary, and you wouldn't have to filter/transfer more than once (if you filter).

I'm stoked about using corny's as primaries. I've been watching this method for a few years, but when I brew it always seems easier to go with my buckets. I need to break away from the norm, there's no reason why this can't work.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:29 PM   #45
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
+1 to mixing things up. I think this is a good practice even if you're not using a corny, especially in things you want to finish with low FG, like IPA's, etc. Even though it goes against the idea of "closed fermentation", I like to add whole hops in after a few days and agitate gently. By doing this you would rouse the yeast, and simultaneously begin dry-hopping which will incidentally reach its floral/aromatic peak in 7-10 days. At that point, you could cold crash, transfer, and force carb. You'd save about a week by not having to dry hop in secondary, and you wouldn't have to filter/transfer more than once (if you filter).

I'm stoked about using corny's as primaries. I've been watching this method for a few years, but when I brew it always seems easier to go with my buckets. I need to break away from the norm, there's no reason why this can't work.
Steve,
I've fermented ~100 gallon in cornys. I'm attributing my former problems to pitching rates/mash temps. The past few beers have been the best made to date.

Cornys are easy to clean. Oxyclean soak and disassembly of posts. You can use a secondary corny to dry hop. When you transfer, it's under pressure. From the time the yeast is pitched to the time the beer hits the glass, it has never been exposed to oxygen.

What's holding you back?

Old 01-06-2010, 08:12 PM   #46
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 46 Posts

Well, the fact that I'm about 8,000 miles from home is a start All in good time, though....

For fear of the repercussions, I won't link to other brew forums, but do a search for Doc-Tasty-Style-Keg-Cleaner, and you'll find one more reason why fermenting in cornies isn't a bad idea. It's a dead simple keg cleaner that you can just hook right up, probably with spare fittings left over from other projects. I plan on making one for sure, but they can be had for pretty cheap.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:04 AM   #47
RegionalChaos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've doing an apfelwien in a corny. I like it. I rigged a tube and airlock in to my gas in quick connect, so it still bubbles away. Haven't done a beer yet though. Transferring that makes sense. The abfelwien I just serve from the ferment vessel. Quick and easy.

Planned House Ales: an Amber, an IPA, a dark IPA, a Mango Ale, a blueberry oatmeal stout, a dry Irish stout, a honey wheat, Apfelwien

What kind of R-Value does your ferm chamber need? - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/what...hamber-190459/

Old 01-08-2010, 01:20 AM   #48
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 102 Posts

Here is a HBT friendly link:

http://www.wortomatic.com/articles/Heated-Keg-and-Carboy-Cleaner

It is a pretty common design.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:39 PM   #49
germanicus81
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've got my first corney fermented batch as a hefe going right now, put 3-4 gallons in each of 3 corneys. I used an airlock attached to each gas QD, but one of them didnt properly engage the poppet and built up pressure. Just got to clean 3 gallons of wort out of my fermenting chamber because the relief valve let it all out at once.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25840136@N02/4282726611/

Brewery name goes here...

Last edited by germanicus81; 01-17-2010 at 11:41 PM.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:23 AM   #50
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Yep, that's why I started thinking about pressurized fermentation right there, lol. Glad it wasn't your ceiling!!!

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Quick Reply