Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Primary Fermenting in a Corny Keg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2009, 01:08 PM   #21
MikeRLynch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces View Post
Yep I have a corny that won't seal right in the lid I just use it as a primary. I removed the dip tube and covered the out post opening with foil, no airlock, and added Fermcap. Works like a charm. I could do a keg-keg transfer by putting the dip tube back in and screwing on the post... I might try that next time. Hmm....
Good call using the slightly damaged cornies, I've got one where the "out" post is leaking. Instead of paying the couple bucks to replace the post I can just attach a QD to it and use the corny as a fermenter.

On a side note, cornies work really well for apartment brewers like myself, who have very limited squarefootage for brewing. I can only fit a 5.0 CU chest freezer in my place, and that's only room for one carboy. I can fit two or three cornies in there however. Also, with the price of glass carboys and better bottles in the 30-40 dollar range here, getting cornies is just as expensive and can have duel uses. It's a nice way to keep with Alton Browns mantra of "every tool is a multitasker."

Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook
LostCreekBrewery Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2009, 01:18 PM   #22
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 11

:NOTE: When doing a closed transfer, remove the poppet and the valve from the QD for the liquid side to avoid clogging.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:20 PM   #23
gonzo brewer

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a corney that won't seal and plan to primary in it tomorrow. I have no fermcap, so will make a 9 gal batch - 5 gal in carboy and 4 gal in corney.
I will cut 1" off dip tube so I can transfer (CO2 push).

Should I ferment with dip tube in place, or put dip tube in 4 weeks from now when I transfer?

Kegged:Brown, WCIPA, orange cascade, Amber, Vanilla Porter
On Deck: APA, RyeIPA, Kolsch

Old 09-26-2009, 02:42 PM   #24
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I brewed 10 gallon yesterday with the plan to ferment in two corny kegs. I took the advice of some of the posters to this thread.

First, I removed both "in" and "out" poppets, and the dip tube and gave them a good cleaning. While the dip tube was out of the keg I bent it upward so now there's about an inch - inch and a half of space between the bottom of the keg and the end of the dip tube.

I had a few extra gas and product ball locks so I made a couple of blow offs using the gas ball locks with some silicone tubing. I removed the poppet from the gas post and the "tapping thingy" from the gas ball lock to allow better air flow when the beer is off gassing.

Here's a picture of the jumper I plan to use to transfer from a fermenting keg to a serving keg. I plan to move the beer under pressure from the "out" on the fermenting keg to the "out" on the serving keg. (I'll have to remove the "tapping thingy" on the gas ball lock that comes from my CO2 tank and use a shut off to control the air flow)

Here's a picture of the kegs, post pitching, sitting in a freezer at 62 F. I checked this morning and the kegs are off gassing but there's no krausen evident in the blow off thanks to the fermcap. Excuse the mess. I had just taken a couple of lagers out of the freezer and did not have time to clean up the mess.

So far this seems to be working well. I like the fact that I can fit 5 cornys into my little freezer for a temp controlled fermentation and the beer, once pitched, will not be exposed to oxygen.

Thanks to all who chimed in with suggestions.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:45 PM   #25
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Update: I pulled a gravity sample today. I hooked up a regulator set to a couple of lbs of CO2 to push a sample out of the product side. I used Biermuncher's bottling gun to draw a sample into the hydrometer sample tube. Easy as pie. So far, so good.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:08 PM   #26
Pickngrin
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have my first corny-fermented batch (an oatmeal porter) ready to keg. I made a stainless mesh screen for the dip tube (didn't bend the tube). I crashed cooled it over the weekend.
My question is, when transferring it to the serving keg with a jumper, do I need to purge the trub etc. from the bottom of the fermenting keg first? I connected a cobra tap to see what was going to come out, and I didn't really see much in the way of trub or hop particles. Is the mesh filtering that out?

Old 11-13-2009, 01:25 PM   #27
dfohio
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hugh Jass, did you notice any flavor differences from the corny keg?

Brewstrong totally denounced the idea but it sounded like neither of them had even tried it so I'm not buying it. Did you experience anything different, positive or negative, in terms of flavor?

Primary: Citrus Wheat Experiment/WLP029 & WYEAST 1056
Secondary: Oktoberfest
Bottle: Empty

Old 11-13-2009, 01:32 PM   #28
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Each of the beers that have been fermented in a corny seem fine. I like the idea that from the time I pitch the yeast until the time the beer reaches my glass, it has never been exposed to oxygen. Gravity samples and racking from keg to keg are done under pressure.

That said, I've had some difficulty getting the yeast to properly attenuate. It's like 2-3 gravity points higher.

What was Brewstrong's reason for denouncing the idea?

Old 11-13-2009, 01:38 PM   #29
dfohio
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Their reasoning was the corny was too skinny and tall. They said there was a reason why conicals are shaped the way they are because that is the ideal shape for yeast to do its thing. They referenced Samuel Smith's square fermenters and diacetyl in the corners as support for their argument.

Basically, yeast can't move around as much in the corny and may flocculate early or maybe cause different esters than a carboy or conical. If you haven't been hitting your fg then I guess this idea could have some merit

Primary: Citrus Wheat Experiment/WLP029 & WYEAST 1056
Secondary: Oktoberfest
Bottle: Empty

Last edited by dfohio; 11-13-2009 at 01:41 PM.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:50 PM   #30
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Do you know the episode? I would like to have a listen. Thanks!

Quick Reply