Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Primary ferment length vs autolysis questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2008, 07:32 PM   #1
JGlove
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Primary ferment length vs autolysis questions

Hey all,

I am on batch 6 right now, and have a wheat beer in my primary. I have a general feel for how to do all grain techniques, but there are some finer points of beermaking that escape me. I asked a question to someone that knows something, and he described it as "primary length and danger of autolysis." argument.

The homebrew shop I buy from kinda stresses a 7-10 day primary cycle, and a longer secondary if needed.

Combine that information with the fact that I had a bad experience with the yeast autolyzing back into my first batch of beer because I left it in the primary for 12-13 days. Because of that, I usually never go over 7 days for fermenting.

Now, I am doing this wheat beer (like I said above) and in a different thread, I had people saying that they never Primary ferment for LESS than 14 days, 7 days is too short, etc etc..

Now i am all confused as to what I should be doing with this hefe im brewing, and all future batches of beer. Granted, the hefeweizen yeast is supposed to be prevalent in the style, but what about some of the (my personal example) sour tasting english ale yeasts all nastifying my irish red ale.

Where is that tradeoff, and is it relatively scientific? or is it just one of those things that you only learn by making batches of nasty beer.
long story short, what are the general rules of thumb for fermentation time, accounting for styles of beer, yeast type, etc.

Any information on this would be awesome, because right now, im feeling confused to all hell on the subject, and I have a sad and lonely batch of beer sitting next to my bed

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2008, 07:47 PM   #2
NitrouStang96

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm still rather green (though I did just graduate to kegging, woohoo!), but my last batch was in Primary for about 8 weeks or so. It's delicious.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:51 PM   #3
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Wheats typically go for 14 days in primary and straight to bottle.

As far as autolysis goes, all the text that I have read says that it is going to take MUCH MUCH longer than a week or two for autolysis to start happening, and when it does you are going to want to run for the hills because the stinch will be so god-awful.

People brewing big beers leave them in primary for a month or two sometimes with no ill effects. Taking the beer off of the yeast bed too early is actually bad for your brew. They are still cleaning up fermentation by pruducts and things even if not actively fermenting, so if it needs more than a week in primary, you should always let it saty. Remember, 3 days of the same FG readings and you will be good to transfer, and you should have no risk of autolysis. I'm thinking your problem wasn't autolysis or you wouldn't have even been able to get close enough to bottle that batch of beer.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 04-25-2008, 08:03 PM   #4
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

What is your "fact" that you had autolysis in your first batch? I always primary for a month then straight to bottles.

Keep your beer on the yeast for at least 10 days in order to have the yeast clean up their natural by-products after the fermentation is complete.

In addition, I have had multiple batches that don't finish fermenting in under 7 days. In fact, my Belgian Strong Dark took 18 days before I back calculated that fermentation was complete (e.g., reading at day 21 was the same as reading at day 18).

Old 04-25-2008, 08:06 PM   #5
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 119 Posts

i've left stuff sit in the primary for a couple months without any problems. i've made it kind of a rule to transfer a beer to secondary no later than a month AFTER FERMENTATION HAS COMPLETED but not always stuck to it. I transfer sooner if i'm in a bucket instead of a carboy.

I think it would be difficult to make autolysis a problem. You'd have to have it in plastic and leave it for months. a few weeks wouldn't do it.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 04-25-2008, 08:15 PM   #6
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

+1 to all above, I am guessing that your "autolysis" problem was actually something else for all the reasons stated above. I typically keep my beers in the primary for 3-4 weeks and have never had a problem. I have also had big beers stay in the primary for 2-3 months before I racked them. Now there are some beers that I will rack earlier, wheats and now kolshes, but thats mostly because they tend to go straight to tap...

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Old 04-25-2008, 08:15 PM   #7
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 17

My beer sits on the yeast for three-four weeks before bottling (I rarely use secondaries), and there hasn't been even a hint of autolysis.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:15 PM   #8
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts

I doubt you had autosysis in your first batch. It could have been some other contamination, or any number of things. Two weeks in the primary are not going to hurt the yeast. You would need a couple months. Just leave the beer until it's done, no matter how long it takes. I routinely leave my fermenters for two weeks without thinking about racking. Sometimes it's three weeks by the time I get around to it.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 04-25-2008, 08:32 PM   #9
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Autolysis is the sasquatch of homebrewing. My opinion is that you had some other infection or contamination. Many on this forum leave their beers sitting on yeast for a long time with no ill effects.

I think the best thing you can do to assure yourself is to use your hydrometer to determine when to transfer your beers, there is no set span of time. When your gravity is stable for two days, your fermentation is complete.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:48 PM   #10
mr x
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklab
sasquatch
I laugh everytime I see that word:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoID=18414158

This place really went to hell. Follow the OF standard stout. Bye.

Quick Reply