Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Preventing excess exposure to O2 during secondary with small batches

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2009, 01:04 AM   #1
whitehotdawn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Preventing excess exposure to O2 during secondary with small batches

I have a number of carboys filled with 2-3 gallons in primary fermentation (I split up my wort to try different yeast). I have two converted freezers (with love controllers) for fermentation and clearing. I would like to rack for secondary fermentation, but I am concerned about exposure to oxygen. I have CO2 available. What procedure should I use to prevent excess exposure to oxygen? Should I do secondary in carboys or corney kegs? Thanks, Sean.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2009, 06:41 PM   #2
cmgray
Recipes 

The best and easiest way would be to forget about the secondary. Lots of brewers skip the secondary and most that I've heard from say it's improved the quality of the beer.

Just leave it in the primary for a few days or a week longer than you normally would and put it in the keg.

Visit www.brewtility.com Online brewing software and beer recipes database.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:47 PM   #3
moti_mo
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts

If you have kegging equipment, then the easiest thing to do is just purge the secondary headspace with CO2 for a couple of minutes. Get some saran wrap and cover the top of the carboy with it. Make two slits - one for the input of the CO2 tubing and one as a blow-off hole. Put the CO2 tube into the empty headspace and purge at low flow for a couple of minutes. Replace saran wrap with air lock and you're done.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:49 PM   #4
moti_mo
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts

PS - I wouldn't agree that skipping secondary improves the quality of the beer for all types of beers (especially bigger beers). I think with most beers, doing a secondary is good practice (though obviously not required). My beers always taste better after a secondary, but If I want to get something kegged quickly, I'll skip that step.

Quick Reply