Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Preparing Fruit for secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
vsusinga
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Preparing Fruit for secondary

Hey all! I recently brewed a wheat ale with blackberries that turned out terrific. I used the preservative-free Oregon brand canned blackberries. The next wheat beer i do i would like to try fresh melon. I am not too sure how to go about preparing it. Im afraid that if i boil it , i will boild it too long and release the pectins in the fruit. Does anyone have ant advice on this? Also , should chop it or puree it? If anyone could help me out on this id appreciate it

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2013, 02:37 PM   #2
jakeasaur
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I hand chop the fruit put it in a pot with just enough water to cover it and heat to 170 for 20 minutes, cool, place in secondary and rack beer on top. That method has worked great for me

Old 11-29-2013, 06:01 PM   #3
vsusinga
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sounds simple enough.. thank you

Old 11-29-2013, 10:42 PM   #4
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

I would add pectic enzyme to break down the pectin in the fruit. I'm sure your LHBS will have it in the additives section.

Old 11-30-2013, 02:14 PM   #5
OCBrewin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I wouldn't boil or even heat melon, it gives a very unpleasant flavor when done, almost kike a cooked cucumber taste. For melons, just wash the outside very well, sanitize it, a knife, and the cutting board and either wash your hands exceptionally well or wear gloves.

Look up the watermelon wheat recipe by dubbeldach (sp?) on here. It is excellent and tried and true. I've done a watermelon beer several times as well as a honeydew beer and one with a melon called a santa claus melon. Only once did I try and heat the fruit and I'll never do it again! It works on other fruit, just not melon. Good luck!

Old 11-30-2013, 02:28 PM   #6
Exportjo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm assuming you are going to add this via "dry hopping". If this is the case I really recommend that you do not boil it, I have never boiled fruit at home or at the brewery I work at and have never had issues with infections. I would, however, suggest you freeze it before you add it, freezing breaks down the cell walls in the fruit and allows more aroma to be extracted, thus more perceived flavor. If you are really worried about picking up some nasties and refuse to add it into you beer without some kind of sanitizing the I would say soak it in a neutral spirit like vodka that is 80 proof or higher, the only downside to this is that the vodka will strip some of your aroma/flavor out. I hope this helped, happy brewing!

Old 12-03-2013, 05:45 PM   #7
vsusinga
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the tips! After my cider is done i will give it a try

Quick Reply