The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Pouring Wort onto Used Yeast Cake...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2006, 01:58 PM   #1
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Pouring Wort onto Used Yeast Cake...

I've never done this before, but I'm planning on doing it this weekend. My question is, I've left the cake sitting in the carboy (sealed) since Sunday when I racked off of it...so would it be helpful to pour a small starter batch into the carboy the night before I brew? Or is this unnecessary? If it hadn't been 2 weeks since the original pitch, and it hadn't been sitting alone for a week, I might not be so concerned, but in terms of decreasing lag time as much as possible, wouldn't a small starter poured onto the cake the night before serve to jumpstart the cake? Or is this completely unnecessary?

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2006, 02:20 PM   #2
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That's a really good question. Have to admit, I thought of that myself a couple of times as I'm interested in reusing yeast as well when I make the switch to liquid yeast. Hopefully the "pros" will kick in here, especially brewpastor, he used to own a brewery. I've read several arguments for/against using yeast cake with old trub. Some say it will affect the brew, some say it doesn't. I would think that if your making the same type of brew, it really wouldn't matter.

Old 11-16-2006, 03:03 PM   #3
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

If you're repitching using the entire yeast cake form a previous batch, I think you'll get a pretty fast and vigorous start without any sort of starter.

Make sure you have a blowoff tube rigged for this one--you're probably need it.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 11-16-2006, 03:10 PM   #4
Brewiz

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Just go in right on top after you cool it, just make sure you have a blow off tube or a lot of head space. It's going to go crazy....

Old 11-16-2006, 03:19 PM   #5
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 1

shiezer! The only blowoff tube I have is an emergency one...just hook up a standard racking tube to the small nub on a carboy cap. But I do need to go to lowes tonight. Anyone have any idea what the ID/OD of a standard large blowoff tube is? I really don't wanna have to lug my trub-filled carboy into lowes.

Also, anyone know whether or not it's okay to use the cake from a Wit (with orange peel and corainder in the boil) on a hefe? I'm sorta worried that some of those flavors might transfer from the trub into my hefe.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Last edited by Evan!; 11-16-2006 at 03:21 PM.

Quick Reply