Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Potential fermentaion problem

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2006, 10:53 PM   #1
Torchiest
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Potential fermentaion problem

I brewed a second batch of my Black Helicopter Porter today, and I beefed up the recipe a little. I went from 7lbs of LME to 8lbs, and I increased my total steeping grains from 3lbs to 3.5lbs. During the boil, my muslin bag broke, and some of the grain poured into the brew pot and remained in it for the duration of the boil.

My first batch had an OG of ~1.053, although I still wasn't taking measurements at the time. This batch came out a relatively large 1.067. I pitched both with a single packet of Nottingham dry yeast. I had no fermentation problems at all with my first batch, but now I'm wondering if the little yeasties can handle such a big beer. It's only been about three hours since I pitched, and nothing yet, but I'm not necessarily concerned. Any thoughts?

#48 Black Helicopter Porter #49 Pikemen Porter
Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2006, 11:01 PM   #2
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

it will be fine... with a biger sg, the yeast will take a bit longer to buck up and start fermenting... it's gotta build up a bit more of a colony to handle the bigger beer...

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply