Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Post boil dilution

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2011, 02:00 PM   #1
foreigngreg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Post boil dilution

Hi people,

Have any of you ever tried to dilute your brew after the boil to get greater volumes for a given boil size?

I ask this as I would like to make 50l batches, my mash tun could take it for say a 1060 or less OG beer, but my kettle is only good for up to 25l batches. Seen this my plan would be to boil, cool of, and then dilute with some bottled water (no nasties there to spoil the beer, as opposed to tap water).

What do you think? Will this make a good beer? Or does a high gravity boil (OGx2) change something in the final product?

Cheers

Greg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2011, 02:10 PM   #2
ScrewyBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've added filtered water to the cooled wort in my fermenters many, many times and haven't had any problems with the finished beer directly related to doing so. Most extract beer recipe kits actually include this step in their brewing directions.

Of course the final gravity of the finished beer will be diluted and you can expect a lower ABV%, but you still end up with a good session beer.

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'.

The Screwy Brewer
www.thescrewybrewer.com
Screwy's On Facebook

Old 06-18-2011, 05:30 PM   #3
redman67
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

With the help of beersmith I make 15 gallon batches using my keggel system with no problems so far
The program can be adjusted to accomodate the additional top off water while still hitting your gravities

Because God hates it when you drink bad beer

Old 06-19-2011, 10:09 AM   #4
foreigngreg
Recipes 

I have no problem actually diluting and hitting the right targets and all, my question was more along the lines of; does it affect the produced beer to do higher concentration boils and then dilute, and if it does how so?

I mean, if no differenct can be seen between a high concentration boil and a full volume boil, there is no reason to boil full volume! (less volume to boil= less energy = less cost).

Old 06-19-2011, 10:24 AM   #5
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 316 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 222

There are other issues/problems with doing a partial boil vs. a full boil:

A more concentrated boil decreases your hop utilization.

A more concentrated boil has increased Maillard reaction going on, darkening the wort and producing a different flavor profile.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:32 PM   #6
foreigngreg
Recipes 

Ok I figured there should be a reason, thanks for the info!

Old 10-30-2011, 02:54 PM   #7
m1k3
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 62

I agree with the "hop utilization" and "Maillard reaction" answer. I take that into account in my process.

Many large scale breweries use dilution at bottling time (to increase production above fermenter and brewhouse space), my question is:

Is there any difference between pre and post-fermentation dilution?

Old 10-30-2011, 03:01 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2750 Times on 1649 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I show here, how I do 5 gallon ag batches on my stovetop doing high gravity a 3.5 gallon boil down to a 2.5gallon boil and topping off in the fermenter, just like in an extract batch, to 5 gallons.

I've medalled for some of those beers, so I fart in the general direction of those who say it CAN'T be done....

I've done it with everything from pale ales to Ipas to stouts, and they've all turned out. Dark beers, lighter beers, whatever.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-30-2011, 03:06 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2750 Times on 1649 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
There are other issues/problems with doing a partial boil vs. a full boil:

A more concentrated boil decreases your hop utilization.
So you over compensate by using more hops, around 18% tends to cover it.

Quote:
A more concentrated boil has increased Maillard reaction going on, darkening the wort and producing a different flavor profile.
I call shennagins on this one....never had any issues with that....any darkenning of wort is dilluted back to it's "intended" flavor profile....If that were truly the case we wouldn't have extract beers with a 2.5 gallon topped off to 5 gallons would we?

When we do this ourselves we're really doing nothing more than a maltser does making for example a cooper's kit. They mash the grain, and boil it like we do, adding their hops in, and then concentrating the wort down to a thick syrup.

In our case were only boiling it down a little bit...but if we can make beer from an extract kit that is not a full boil, we can do it for ag beers as well.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-31-2011, 03:21 AM   #10
C-Rider

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 295

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I show here, how I do 5 gallon ag batches on my stovetop doing high gravity a 3.5 gallon boil down to a 2.5gallon boil and topping off in the fermenter, just like in an extract batch, to 5 gallons.

I've medalled for some of those beers, so I fart in the general direction of those who say it CAN'T be done....

I've done it with everything from pale ales to Ipas to stouts, and they've all turned out. Dark beers, lighter beers, whatever.
I gotta try this one of these days.

Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Bottled in the refer: Maui Wowie(RobustCoffeePorter)
Bottled in the refer: Malahine Ale (Am Pale)
Bottled in the refer: OldGlory (Am Stout)
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout
Bottled in the refer: German IPA
Bottled in the refer: Düsseldorf Altbier

Quick Reply