New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Porter Conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 12:30 AM   #11
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 639 Times on 535 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Give it another 8 weeks and try again. I'll bet you find it to be a lot more smooth and fuller too.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2012, 02:54 AM   #12
natefrog255
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
Give it another 8 weeks and try again. I'll bet you find it to be a lot more smooth and fuller too.
Yeah I think that's a good idea. It seems like porters are better if given more time and another 2 months puts us into October when this beer will be more in season anyway. So I will keep this one stashed away and try again in another 8 weeks.

All Extract Brewer (with Steeping) Brewer Since Fall of 2011. Goal is to try All Grain in Summer of 2013.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:37 PM   #13
strambo
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I think the slight harshness is just the 26 IBUs in a slightly less than 4% beer. My Porter had a 1.061 OG and is 5.5%...also at 26 IBUs and just right.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:35 PM   #14
rifraf
Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 61

I tried an extract attempt at Revvy's Mexican chocolate porter, it's getting better and better every week...the aging is much more noticeable than they other lighter beers I've made.

You have to grow old, you don't have to grow up.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:58 PM   #15
natefrog255
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by strambo View Post
I think the slight harshness is just the 26 IBUs in a slightly less than 4% beer. My Porter had a 1.061 OG and is 5.5%...also at 26 IBUs and just right.
That very well could be. I missed my OG more than I wanted. I'm going to let it sit awhile and if it's still slightly bitter I'm going to chalk it up to above.

All Extract Brewer (with Steeping) Brewer Since Fall of 2011. Goal is to try All Grain in Summer of 2013.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:59 PM   #16
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3452

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
I tried an extract attempt at Revvy's Mexican chocolate porter, it's getting better and better every week...the aging is much more noticeable than they other lighter beers I've made.
Wow, really? I can't wait to hear how it turns out.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-22-2012, 03:07 PM   #17
rifraf
Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy

Wow, really? I can't wait to hear how it turns out.
Yeah it was one of my craziest brew days. I did a recipe recipe conversion attempt and then on brew day I realized how horribly wrong it all was so started reconverting in crisis mode in the middle of heating water etc. Had to dial down cayenne (a couple friends can't handle spicy at all) and didn't have as many tablets of chocolate as I wanted but all in all it actually came out pretty good.

It's been bottled for about 8 weeks now. Very hard to be patient. Much better when it warms up, but so far everyone loves it. I think I remember you saying it gets really good after a few months so I'm trying to stash some away. Will definitely brew again, and only plan on adding more tablets. Pretty happy with the base porter flavor....thanks for posting the recipe in the first place!

You have to grow old, you don't have to grow up.

Quick Reply