The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > PLEASE HELP! 36+ Hours after Pitching, No Activity...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2006, 04:52 PM   #1
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default PLEASE HELP! 36+ Hours after Pitching, No Activity...

So, on Friday afternoon, I brewed a Belgian Dubbel. Took a temp reading of the wort as soon as I was done transferring from the kettle to primary, and it was 69, maybe 70 degrees. So I immediately pitched my liquid Wyeast Belgian Abbey Activator SmackPack.

That was at about 9pm on Friday night. Here we are, Sunday, 1pm, and there's absolutely zero activity. No, I didn't do a starter because the decision to brew was a last-minute thing, so I didn't have time. I just smacked the pack a few hours prior, and pitched directly into the wort.

How long should I wait before giving up on this strain and repitching? I have some various Safeale dried stuff, and also a Wyeast London ESB SmackPack in the fridge...would the ESB yeast be okay to use on a Dubbel if I need to?

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2006, 06:16 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

I'd give it another day. This is a fairly high OG, right? That makes for slower starts, as the yeast have to deal with a high osmotic pressure.

None of those other yeasts will give you the basic Belgian flavors.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-08-2006, 06:42 PM   #3
G. Cretin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would give it another day if you can stand the wait.

Old 10-08-2006, 06:58 PM   #4
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
I'd give it another day. This is a fairly high OG, right? That makes for slower starts, as the yeast have to deal with a high osmotic pressure.

None of those other yeasts will give you the basic Belgian flavors.
I suspected as much. This is my first true belgian (except for a Wit), but I'm beer-geek-ified enough to respect the importance of belgian strains. Fantome. I rest my case.

So, I'll give her another day. But, if, FSM forbid, nothing happens, what am I gonna do? I don't have an LHBS to raid for more belgian strains...so what do I do? Order more from AHS, and wait another 5 days? That seems dangerous to me.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 10-08-2006, 07:01 PM   #5
G. Cretin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Since you already put all the work in to it and your looking at five days for delivery I would pitch one of the others you have on hand after making a big starter. $.02

Old 10-08-2006, 07:10 PM   #6
Evan!

Recipes 

Yeah, I suppose that'll work. My plan was to make a cranberry dubbel. I ordered some cranberry flavoring to add at bottling. I guess I could just pitch the Safeale US-56 and call it a cranberry brown ale, and try a true belgian dubbel some other time. it just really pisses me off when these $7 liquid yeasts don't work.

But I'm still holding out hope!

Actually, there's a really cool microbrewpub here in town and the brewer is really great about sharing his strains. Maybe he has something I can use if I need it.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 10-08-2006, 07:11 PM   #7
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
Nice $3 word, havent heard or used that since Paramedic training. A high osmotic pressure IIRC is hard on yeast because it's trying to suck the water out of your yeast cells and into you wort in an attempt to balance out the concentration of water between the yeast cells and the concentration of water in the wort. It will take your yeast a bit to be able to adapt and get good an healthy and thats why ya get slower starts.

IMHO . . . . RDWHAHB I bet it turns out fine.

Old 10-08-2006, 07:13 PM   #8
Evan!

Recipes 

I just had another crazy idea...I work in a fine wine/beer shop. I'm actually here right now. Our beer selection is sick...AAB rated us one of the top 70 retailers in the country. So what if I take a relatively new bottle-conditioned belgian dubbel and try to culture the yeasts from the bottle? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 10-08-2006, 07:17 PM   #9
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumbaa
Nice $3 word, havent heard or used that since Paramedic training. A high osmotic pressure IIRC is hard on yeast because it's trying to suck the water out of your yeast cells and into you wort in an attempt to balance out the concentration of water between the yeast cells and the concentration of water in the wort. It will take your yeast a bit to be able to adapt and get good an healthy and thats why ya get slower starts.

IMHO . . . . RDWHAHB I bet it turns out fine.
Thanks for the optimism, Pumbaa...I need it! I'm really gunning for these Abbey yeasts to get it done. I'm just not sure how long I should really wait before I should start worrying about peripheral contamination. Yes, I sanitize like a madman, and everything has been entirely clean, and it's been sealed, of course, but I've never let any of my brews go beyond 48 hours without repitching.

Also, do you think agitating the wort by swirling the carboy would help matters?

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 10-08-2006, 07:21 PM   #10
Orpheus

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Did the smack pack expand like it's supposed to?

Quick Reply