Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > "Plastic" taste

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2009, 05:50 PM   #1
farrout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default "Plastic" taste

Hey guys, I am supremely dissapointed. I had to throw out a scotch ale a couple months ago becasue it had a funky taste to it. the best way I could describe it is "plasticy". my roomate said it reminded him of silly putty. So anyway I just tasted my honey kolch and it has the exact same tast . I have now idea what it is, has anyone ever experienced anything like this. I use star-san, could I have used a too concentrated solution and have it affect the beer? any imput of ideas are much appreciated. thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2009, 06:08 PM   #2
double_e5
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

We are going to need to know more of your process. What are you fermenting in? What temps? What are you cleaning with? etc.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:19 PM   #3
farrout
Recipes 

kit brewing, sanitizing with star san, I ferment in a glass carboy, fermenting temps between 65-70 degrees. The scotch ale i used tap water and bottled drinking water for the kolch. Pretty basic meathod, 60 min boil with appropriate hop addition and specialty grain addition times depending on style of beer. I know its hard to find a problem without being there during the process. I was just wondering if i am doing something obviously wrong. the fact that the taste remindes me so much of a plastic taste, makes me wonder if star-san can impart a flavor if you accidentally use to much.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:41 PM   #4
Piotr
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

There is a rule: if you don't know what it is, it is an infection

Old 03-21-2009, 06:51 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3486

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr View Post
There is a rule: if you don't know what it is, it is an infection

Really??? Boy, I've never heard that rule before.

In fact, just the opposite....it is actually very hard to infect beers, most of the time an off flavor is due to greeness...that's why we recommend over and over and over, not to dump a beer right away, but stick them away for a few weeks or months .

This thread illustrates how despite our boneheaded moves, our beer manages to turn out fine..

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/what...t-great-96780/

And this one discusses infections a bit...http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/has-...p-batch-96644/

And this one is full of stories about NOT dumping batches and having them turn out decent if not exceptional...
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/neve...en-beer-73254/

Most new brewers actually often can't discern the difference between simple greeness and a true infection....true infections happen but most of the time not to a brand new brewer....and sadly there is probably a great deal of beer abortion of perfectly good beer, if the brewer hadn't panicked and had waited a bit...

Sometimes even plastic tastes are simply greeness, how long did you let your beer bottle carb and condition before first opening them, and how long did you wait and try them before dumping the whole thing?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-21-2009, 07:09 PM   #6
JVD_X
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Are you using any PVC type tubing?

- JVD_X

Old 03-21-2009, 08:06 PM   #7
farrout
Recipes 

Thanks Revvy, I kegged the beer about 2 weeks ago, so it is still a bit green. I dumped out the scotch ale right away(mistake). maybe I am making to much out of this since I have never had this problem before. I usually start drinking my beer while it is fairly green stll and never and they have always been fine(they also have gotten better with age). I will definitely take your advice and let it sit for a while, maybe pour another glass in a month and see how it is.

no I don't use any PVC or anything similiar in my process.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:09 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3486

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrout View Post
Thanks Revvy, I kegged the beer about 2 weeks ago, so it is still a bit green. I dumped out the scotch ale right away(mistake). maybe I am making to much out of this since I have never had this problem before. I usually start drinking my beer while it is fairly green stll and never and they have always been fine(they also have gotten better with age). I will definitely take your advice and let it sit for a while, maybe pour another glass in a month and see how it is.

no I don't use any PVC or anything similiar in my process.
I can't find anything 'wrong" with any of your process that I read....unless you have bad kegs lines that are givin a plasticky taste...I was going to point you to a buildup of chlorephenols from too much chlorine, but It looks like you said you are using some bottled water...

Try using only bottled water for the next brew and see.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-21-2009, 08:20 PM   #9
Stef1966
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Like Revvy said, you cant judge a beer while it's still green, and sometimes they stay green for quite some time.

I had one with Euro Ale yeast (White Labs) that took a full month bottled until it started tasting decent. but then this beer only got better and better.

As long as there is some Beer left, there is Hope.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:08 AM   #10
Figbash
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Star San is just acid. At the low concentration it's used, there is no way it can change the flavor of an entire batch of beer.

Do you boil in an open pot? A covered boil can add an off taste by not allowing Dimethyl sulfide to escape.

Make sure your fermentation temperature doesn't get over 70F. A few degrees warmer can impart an off flavor to the beer.

Tom

Quick Reply