The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Plasic bucket as secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2007, 01:26 AM   #1
etuin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Plasic bucket as secondary?

I am brewing my third batch of beer, AHS Double Chocolate Stout. it has been in the primary bucket for a week. i need to know if i should keep it in the primary for another week then bottle or put in a plastic bucket and secondary ferment there. i have read nevative comments about using plastic buckets as a secondary. thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2007, 01:28 AM   #2
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

I secondary in plastic and it is fine.

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 12-15-2007, 01:37 AM   #3
mrk305
Beer Dude in the Sunset
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I like to secondary into a plastic bottling bucket. For some beers it is not necassaryto secondary at all, but I like to anyway. For one, getting the beer off of the yeast cake makes bottling day easier. For two, sometimes I pitch my next beer over the yeast cake on similar beers. For three, it frees up the primary for the next beer and I only have three.

After fermentation is complete. I usually leave it finishing and clearing in the bottling bucket for an additional week and then bottle. It has to be siphoned into the bottling bucket anyway. Leaving it clear for a week in there saves me a step.

Old 12-15-2007, 01:49 AM   #4
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If you were going to do long-term conditioning, a plastic fermenting bucket is definitely not ideal. However a new trend is longer primary and no secondary at all. You could stay in primary for another couple weeks and then go directly to bottles and you'd be perfectly safe.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 12-15-2007, 02:42 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

I've never had any problems with using plastic buckets for long (2-4 months) periods. Now, I just leave each batch in the bucket for 3-8 weeks (ferment + clearing) and keg.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-15-2007, 03:19 PM   #6
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

do NOT move it to secondary until it is done fermenting. 1 week primary is just a suggestion...the beer needs to be DONE fermenting before it goes to secondary.

Like david suggests, you'd probably be better off just doing a long primary, and then bottling, if you don't have a 5gallon carboy to rack to.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Quick Reply