Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Planning on my first Dry Hop...Help needed

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2010, 07:32 PM   #1
hatfieldenator
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Planning on my first Dry Hop...Help needed

Okay, so I have a batch of pale ale and an IPA that I plan on trying to dry hop this time around. I am currently fermenting the IPA in a 6gal carboy and the pale ale in a bucket. My question is how do I go about adding hops to these batches? Should I just use a hop bag and toss it in the primary or should I first rack to a secondary? Do I need to soak the bag in sanitizer first? How long should I leave it in there?
Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2010, 07:48 PM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 393 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 600

I usually use pellets and just dump them in my carboy. Most of the time I secondary when I dry hop but, I've dry hopped in the primary also (with no ill results.) I shoot for a week of dry hopping and then a couple of days of cold crashing. The cold crashing really helps in clearing the beer of the hop residue. Some people use a bag when dry hopping but I prefer to let the pellets swim.....

Old 11-11-2010, 08:03 PM   #3
WildGingerBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1910 Times on 1888 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I dry hop in secondary. Boil a hop sock first for a few minutes to sanitize, let it cool a little, add the pellets to it and drop it in the secondary vessel.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:19 PM   #4
shroomzofdoom
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Just to keep things interesting...

I throw mine in without a hop bag...

Then, when you rack to your bottling bucket or keg---line that with a sterilized 5G paint strainer bag from Lowes or Home Depot (I boil them).

Rack your beer into the bag then lift out the bag and any hops that it collected.

Full contract for your hops in secondary and ZERO hop material in your bucket or keg.

My electric BCS-460 build (work in progress)

Coffin cooling lessons

Old 11-11-2010, 09:35 PM   #5
rjwhite41
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I add directly to the secondary and will leave it for at least a week. With IPA's that I want a huge hop nose I go 2. I have added to the primary after fermentation is all but finished and had no problems. I have always used pellets but next time I will be using leaf because I have read the aroma is better with leaf. I also cold crash before transferring to the keg. Some people hop right in the keg and then you would want a bag. If you're bottling of course that is not an option.

Quick Reply