Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Pitching Extra Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2008, 12:50 PM   #1
bubbathearkie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pitching Extra Yeast

Howdy,

I'm a newcomer to this forum, and it looks like a lot of fun. I have a question for you. If the FG is a little too high after the fermentation has stopped, can I pitch a little more yeast in order to get the desired result, or am I stuck with a little weaker batch than I wanted?

Thanks,
Bubba

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2008, 12:55 PM   #2
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

Welcome! You would do better to post this question in the Beginner's section, but let me give it a crack.

You probably do not have to pitch additional yeast. Rather, just rouse your yeast by giving your fermenter some gentle rocking or by stirring it up with a sanitary racking cane.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 04-30-2008, 07:30 PM   #3
bubbathearkie
Recipes 

Yo TL,

Thanks for the heads-up on where to best post this question. It is my first try at your group, and I really appreciate you not blowing me off. I'll try to do it right next time. I didn't realize that you might be able to wake those little yeast guys up after they had sunk to the bottom. I should have realized that it is possible after reading an article on re-using your yeast a time or two. I am having a great time brewing my own stuff, and I am encouraged by the old saying, "There is no such thing as a bad batch of beer. Some are just better than others."

Thanks again for your help.

your Brewbuddy,
Bubba

Old 05-01-2008, 01:59 AM   #4
jay075j
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Welcome Bubba! We might be able to give you some more direction if you could give us a bit more information. What was your recipe and method? Yeast type, and fermentation temp? Has your temp stayed constant?

This is a great group here! I have learned more than I would have thought since starting to read this. Now I'm kind of addicted!

Jay

"All right, brain, I don't like you, and you don't like me, so let's just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer." - Homer Simpson

Old 05-01-2008, 02:23 AM   #5
alapapa
Recipes 

Hi, bubba

You still almost certainly have live yeast in your fermenter. If stirring them up doesn't get you where you wanted to end up, I would consider racking to a secondary and adding some dry malt extract or some other sugar (whatever best fits the style -- boiled and cooled, of course) and wake your yeasties back up for a secondary fermentation. In a couple of weeks you should have your desired gravity

cheers

Quick Reply