Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Partial mashing with one pot and a cooler

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 08:07 PM   #21
bobbrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 281 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamWS View Post
Just curious: If you're using a cooler as a mash tun then why BIAB, why not just drain and batch sparge?
I don't do BIAB but my understanding is the only real advantage is that it is a one vessel system, it allows you to do all AG without a separate mash tun.
When I BIAB indoors, I usually do it via Partial Mash with 2 kettles, no cooler. Some people use a cooler and a kettle. Others just use one of these vessels. But it doesn't have to be a one vessel system. It saves time to heat up your main volume of water to the appropriate temp. while you're mashing the other volume. That way your mashed wort and main volume of water are premeasured and at the appropriate temps exactly when you need them to be... So you're good to go with the next step instead of waiting for the main volume of water to heat up after the mash.

Example:

Your mash & mash volume = 5 lbs. grain mashed in 7.5 liters of water
Your total boil volume = 20 liters of water

So, an additional 12.5 liters of water will be required for the full boil... which you don't want to be cold. So you can heat it up in a separate vessel.

Also, some people who brew BIAB (whether Partial Mash or All Grain) will batch sparge; others will no sparge; others will dunk the grain bag several times in the 170 F-ish main kettle volume of plain water to sort of combine the idea of a sparge and mashout together as one. In summation, there are many more than one ways to skin a cat.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 08:20 PM   #22
nbrack
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews View Post
In summation, there are many more than one ways to skin a cat.
+1 to that!

I am intrigued with the idea of batch sparging in a cooler using BIAB, it seems to me that there would be less worries with equipment, stuck sparges, etc.... I have not done it yet, but that is just the feeling I am getting reading through the forums.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:02 AM   #23
WilliamWS
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hey, I'm all for whatever system works for you and I'm definitely not going to discourage anyone from using a system that they've had success with but I still don't see an advantage to BIAB if you've got the cooler MT and a kettle. I just always thought of it as a way to get by with less equipment.

Using the system I described earlier in the thread your water is at the appropriate temp when you need it using the same equipment (minus the bag), I've never had a stuck sparge (though I do use rice hulls for brews with lots of wheat/oats/pumpkin), and I can't imagine it being faster.
Just an observation, no judgement. Do whatever makes good beer for you.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:25 AM   #24
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 866 Times on 601 Posts
Likes Given: 112

BIAB in a cooler if the cooler doesn't have a drain spout, or if it doubles as an actual cooler and you don't have it converted

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2

Old 12-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #25
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 281 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 18

William, clean-up is a helluva lot easier too since your mashing grains and boil hops are bagged. Less trub on average as well.

Quick Reply