Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Partial mashing with one pot and a cooler

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
orangemen5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Partial mashing with one pot and a cooler

I've been extract brewing on a propane burner outside. I would like t do some partial mash. So I have a 60 qt pot and a 5 gal igloo cooler mash tun. What I don't have is a second pot for heating sparge water. I would like to heat my sparge water and put it aside in a plastic fermenter bucket and get my boil water going to save time. I'm not sure what temps an ale pail can hold without warping. Does anyone have another technique for this kind of set up I don't want to BIAB also. Thanks for any tips

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
GrogNerd
Why must it always be pandemonium?
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 890 Times on 615 Posts
Likes Given: 113

i use ale pail inside bottling bucket (Zapap) for MLT and don't have any problems with warping. it's not the greatest at retaining heat, tho... needs insulation.

"Why must it always be pandemonium?" - George Mueller/Nelson Van Alden

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2

Old 11-28-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 283 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Why wouldn't you consider BIAB? It's not that difficult. Get yourself a couple paint strainer bags to hold the grain. Mash in your cooler (1.5 liters water per lb. of grain) and simultaneously heat your main volume of water in your kettle to about 170 F. When the mash is done, dip/rinse the grain bag several times in the kettle water. I couldn't think of any easier way to brew partial mash with your current setup.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:34 PM   #4
orangemen5
Recipes 

That's sounds easy enough. I thought it was nessesary to sparge the grains from stuff I've read. But I'm pretty new at this.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
bobbrews
Recipes 

The second to last sentence I wrote above is sort of a quasi-sparge/mashout all in one. I've found that it's good enough for partial mashes. When I brew indoors via this method, I never have a problem with efficiency. And if for some reason you happen to have an issue, use more DME to correct.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:46 PM   #6
orangemen5
Recipes 

I thought BIAB was a different type of all grain brewing. But I like that process for partial mash

Old 11-28-2012, 04:59 PM   #7
WilliamWS
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

With the equipment you have you could easily do partial mash or AG batches.

Use your kettle as your HLT. After mashing drain into your bucket. Batch sparge with water from your kettle/HLT. Then transfer your wort from your bucket back into your kettle and start your boil. Batch sparging is really quick and efficient.

I've used a similar setup for a few years now. I actually have another kettle I can use for a separate HLT but most of the time I just pull out the one on brew day.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #8
orangemen5
Recipes 

I'd like to do all grain in the future so it's good to now I have the equipment to do it. Thanks for explaining it out

Old 11-28-2012, 05:12 PM   #9
bobbrews
Recipes 

If you really want to be technical, the BIAB method can be employed to mash or steep any type of crushed or flaked grain. You don't have to brew the entire beer in a bag.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #10
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 788 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews View Post
If you really want to be technical, the BIAB method can be employed to mash or steep any type of crushed or flaked grain. You don't have to brew the entire beer in a bag.
^^^This is it. The difference between partial mash and all grain is that for a partial mash you are relying on malt extract for a large portion of your fermentables. Add more grain and less malt extract and you are still partial mash right up to the point that you no longer add malt extract at all and then you are all grain brewing.

Quick Reply