Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Partial Mashing Base Malts?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #11
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 771 Times on 646 Posts
Likes Given: 261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder12000 View Post
I don't know why people are always pushing people to go all grain. For the most part all grain brewers make an inferior beer the mini mashers. Reason is that they are just bad at it. I'll take a <3 hour brew day with real good beer anyway rather then a 5 hour average beer brew day.

HOWEVER. I'm not saying AG is inferior, just that many AG BREWERS are not doing all of the little things that need to be done.
I'd take exception to that except that I have little experience with other all grain people. The ones I have tasted thought have been very good. Not all to my taste but taste is subjective.

The reason I push it is for the freedom to choose what I put in my brew. I know what the base malt and all the specialty malts are and the relative quantities. I can change the flavor by changing a single specialty malt, sometime even by a small quantity. It also gives me much more opportunity to learn about the grains and what each brings to the beer. Plus, I can brew an all grain batch for quite a bit less money than by using extract.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2012, 01:17 PM   #12
tdogg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Mashing, partial or full, can open alot of doors for a brewer. with a partial mash you can use different base malts and alot of grains that have no diastatic power of their own. Also, you will have much more control over your final gravity on high OG beers. I have an all grain rig, and still do PM often.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply