The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Partial Mashing Base Malts?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2012, 12:16 AM   #1
acidrain23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Partial Mashing Base Malts?

Is there any benefit to partial mashing base malts like 2-row with an extract recipe (assuming that you have nothing to convert other than the base malts themselves)? Just something I've been wondering.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 12:43 AM   #2
S0meB0dy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

By controlling the temperature of the mash you can control the sweetness of your wort. Mash lower and you get more fermentable sugars and a drier beer, mash higher and you get less fermentable sugars and a sweeter beer.

Depending on the style you want to brew there could be some benefit to mashing base malts alone. It also depends on which base malt you choose since there are subtle differences in flavor between them.

Fermenting: APA
Up Next: Nutbrown

Old 01-27-2012, 02:53 AM   #3
spenghali
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 5

if your going to mash only base malts, why not jsut build an all grain setup, weeeeeew !?

Old 01-27-2012, 03:24 AM   #4
acidrain23
Recipes 

Hah! Well I would love one, but SWMBO might be kind of peeved since the homebrewing has totally taken over our kitchen and a lot of our small apartment! Luckily she likes beer and video games. As soon as we have a space with the space though, sure. More partial mashing in the meantime though, picking up a bigger brewpot too.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:26 AM   #5
acidrain23
Recipes 

Also, got no problem just steeping my specialty grains, just wondering if there was any advantage to be had from partial mashing an extra couple of pounds of base malt.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:56 AM   #6
strambo
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 41 Posts

Lighter color, saves a little money...

I recently decided to switch to partial mash after learning more about it since it is only slightly more difficult than steeping. I really like the opportunity it gives to use other base malts like honey, munich etc.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:17 AM   #7
spenghali
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

someone correct me if i'm wrong, but don't you need to have some base malt in with your specialty grains in a partial mash to have enough diastatic power to the get the full flavor/sugars out of the mash?

Old 01-27-2012, 03:42 PM   #8
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I don't know why people are always pushing people to go all grain. For the most part all grain brewers make an inferior beer the mini mashers. Reason is that they are just bad at it. I'll take a <3 hour brew day with real good beer anyway rather then a 5 hour average beer brew day.

HOWEVER. I'm not saying AG is inferior, just that many AG BREWERS are not doing all of the little things that need to be done.

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at 85 degrees as I type.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:23 AM   #9
BrewMU
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder12000 View Post
I don't know why people are always pushing people to go all grain. For the most part all grain brewers make an inferior beer the mini mashers. Reason is that they are just bad at it. I'll take a <3 hour brew day with real good beer anyway rather then a 5 hour average beer brew day.

HOWEVER. I'm not saying AG is inferior, just that many AG BREWERS are not doing all of the little things that need to be done.
I have to take exception to your premise. There was a poster who was doing a partial mash using 7#s of base malt plus a couple of #s of extract. I asked, not knowing there was a landmine of oversensitivity in my path, why he didn't just add 3 more #s of base malt and ditch the extract. Half a dozen posters jumped on me with both feet, and apparently they got a little rough, since the comments had been deleted before I got back to the thread. I'm fairly new to brewing and newer to this site, so I didn't know that brewing method questions were taboo, which they clearly are.
I wouldn't push anyone to brew any way - I was just asking the guy a question.
I will point one thing out: your tag line is "What I don't know, I obsess over" - that's a much smaller field for AG brewers.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:48 AM   #10
ChadChaney
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

If you are steeping specialty grains and asking about mashing base malts, why not combine the 2 and do a partial mash? you can do that with the equipment you have by adding a paint strainer bag or sparge bag for under $10 and will help you get to all grain(if you want to go that route). Super easy, check out the BIAB stuff on here...

Quick Reply