Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Partial boil: Anyone replace evaporated boil water?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2010, 05:24 AM   #1
brewzombie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Partial boil: Anyone replace evaporated boil water?

I've just learned that isomerized alpha acids are only soluble to about 100 IBUs. So if you use a partial boil (like I do) with 1/2 final volume, you will only get 50 IBUs after dilution even with maximum hoppage in the boil. This makes an IPA with 75 IBUs out of reach.

I've measured that I can fit about 70% boil water in my kettle and still boil on the stove...so I can get 70 IBUs. But then I figured I would lose a significant volume to evaporation during a 1 hr boil so....

...has anyone tried replacing evaporated boil water to keep the volume up? I could top it up with boiling water periodically during the boil.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2010, 01:43 PM   #2
ForRealBeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have topped up before, yes, both in AG and partial mash / extract scenarios. But...those are to reach volume targets.

Personally I think your plan of adding water as you go would work, and the best way to do find out is to brew a batch and see if you get the bitterness you're seeking.

If it doesn't, well, there's a good excuse for a turkey fryer and large pot or keggle combo so you can eliminate the problem once and for all.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:28 PM   #3
brewzombie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForRealBeer View Post
I have topped up before, yes, both in AG and partial mash / extract scenarios. But...those are to reach volume targets.

Personally I think your plan of adding water as you go would work, and the best way to do find out is to brew a batch and see if you get the bitterness you're seeking.

If it doesn't, well, there's a good excuse for a turkey fryer and large pot or keggle combo so you can eliminate the problem once and for all.
I will eventually. Just living in a smallish apartment at the moment and need to keep my equipment to a minimum.

Quick Reply