Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Parti Gyle & Mash Length for Second Runnings

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2010, 05:28 AM   #1
KMOX
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Parti Gyle & Mash Length for Second Runnings

We started talking about this in another parti gyle thread, but thought it might be better to start a new thread instead:

Let's say I'm planning on doing an IPA/Imperial IPA and then a Bitter/ESB. I'll do my first runnings and then "cap" the mash with a little chocolate malt or dark crystal before the second runnings.

Now, what if I can't (or won't) do two concurrent boils and would rather do two subsequent boils. I would really only need 10 to 15 minutes to get what what I need from the cap on the second mash, yet I would need the mash to sit at temperature for one to two hours while I boil and cool the first wort.

Can anyone imagine any problems here? The only risk from letting the second runnings rest for an hour or two is increased tannins. I've done an unintentional two to three hour mash with no (remembered) ill-effects.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2010, 06:05 AM   #2
944play
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 56

I left the second runnings in a partigyle mash during the big beer brew, no problem. Shouldn't be a problem if the pH isn't too high and you leave it at mashout temp. Adding roasted grain will help with the pH and adding the sparge water will cover you on temp.

If you're really worried about it, you could lauter it out into a bucket or whatever, but then you waste the thermal advantage of leaving it in the MLT. Anywho, a little tannin is probably desirable - hearing the CYBI on London Pride, they describe it having tannins from partigyle mashing. My palate isn't quite so sophisticated, but that beer is fantastic, so it can't be a bad thing!

Old 07-11-2010, 02:16 PM   #3
KMOX
Recipes 

Yes, I heard that interview with Fuller's, too. Their process isn't exactly a parti gyle as we tend to think of it, but still very interesting. It's a good point about having a little desirable tannin extraction, though...

Old 07-11-2010, 04:00 PM   #4
a10t2
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I wouldn't worry about tannins at all, really. What I've had more trouble with when doing partigyles is an over-attenuated small beer. For example, my last partigyle was an IIPA (79% ADF) and APA (93% ADF). The APA ended up being a little thin and bland as a result. I think next time I'm going to pull the second runnings before I even start the boil on the first, and at least get it hot enough to denature the enyzmes (>170°F). Alternately you could add enough boiling water to get to mashout temps.

squeeze your sack like it owes you money.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:11 PM   #5
cox8611
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by a10t2 View Post
I wouldn't worry about tannins at all, really. What I've had more trouble with when doing partigyles is an over-attenuated small beer. For example, my last partigyle was an IIPA (79% ADF) and APA (93% ADF). The APA ended up being a little thin and bland as a result. I think next time I'm going to pull the second runnings before I even start the boil on the first, and at least get it hot enough to denature the enyzmes (>170°F). Alternately you could add enough boiling water to get to mashout temps.
Don't know if you added a little dark crystal or some carapils during the 2nd runnings mash... but that would help your overattenuation, provide some residual sugars for you without having to actually "mash" again.

Primary: Black Storm Ryesing (CPA),
Bottled: Tri-fecta Tripel (8/2010), Aficiando Smoked Bourbon Brown, MurphRYE's Pale Ale
Kegged: Oatmeal Stout, Winter Wheat
R.I.P: Dr. Suess's "Green Hops and Rye" Pale Ale Murphy's Law IPA, Honey-do Hefe 2.0, Power of Pine-Sol, Rob's Brown Ale, Wolfpacker's Wheaties II
Project(s) Completed: Cooler Mash Tun (dual-braid), Kegerator, Keggle Conversion, 50' Immersion Chiller.

Quick Reply