Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Parti-gyle brewing questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2010, 09:56 PM   #1
GregoryShmegory
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Parti-gyle brewing questions

Hey everyone, I am going to try a parti-gyle brew this weekend. I understand the whole process (first runnings the big beer with 1/2 the sugars, 1/3 the total wort, second runnings the small beer, 1/2 the sugars, 2/3 the total wort, etc.) I plan on brewing an Imperial Stout/Dry Stout combo.

I'd like to yield 5 gallons big beer (1.09 OG), 10 gallons small beer (1.045 OG). based on some equations from Randy Mosher http://www.brewingtechniques.com/lib....2/mosher.html It looks like I need an entire batch gravity of around 1.060. So here's the question: does that mean I have to buy enough grains for a 15 gallon batch at 1.060? How does this 1.060 gravity apply to amount of grains to be purchased? How many pounds of grains are needed for this brew?!

I've been batch sparging, getting around 70% efficiency on my equipment.

Thanks,

Greg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2010, 02:23 AM   #2
Daddymem
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 43

This was a method my homebrew club came up with that used partigyle theories for collaborative mashing. Some of the calculations and theories may be useful for you.

Recipe Calculations

Explanation write up of our background calculations and some of the results.

Write up

Old 06-16-2010, 02:27 AM   #3
Daddymem
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 43

If you have enough kettles, you don't even have to get into the heavy calculations. Shoot for 15 gallons at your gravity. Collect your runnings in the three pots, and swap volumes between the pots until you hit your gravities (or close enough). You'll probably have to adjust your target if you don't hit your efficiency, which you probably won't if the grain bill is large. I BIAB so the efficiency wasn't an issue with me, actually ended up overshooting it because I underestimated it.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:35 PM   #4
koaps
Recipes 

One thing you can try is doing a no sparge method for the first runnings, which if you follow this:

http://www.byo.com/stories/technique...kip-the-sparge

You should be able to hit your target OG and calculate how much water you will needs for the two infusions.

For the barleywine i plan on doing, the recipe is built at 56% eff.

I should be able to then top off some 2 row and remash and batch sparge and get a decent OG for a second beer.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:47 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2756 Times on 1651 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

This thread of mine; http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/lets...ne-mash-74927/ is a real time thread of me getting the hang of figuring out partigyle recipes.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply