Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Parti-gyle
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2012, 02:54 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Olathe
Posts: 150
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6


Randy Mosher has a good recepie in Radical Brew. Basically the rule of thumb is first runnings are half as big in volume and double the OG. So you get a 2.5 gallon Barley Wine at 1.090 and a 5 gallon Bitter at 1.045.

The Brewing TV episode "Wookie and the Ewok" is a Partigyle episode.

Rock Chalk


Dirty is offline
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2012, 03:27 PM   #32
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
mikeysab's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: staten island
Posts: 4,401
Liked 485 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 3


I'm gonna have to check out radicals recipe. I did a parti gyle last week all willy nilly without a recipe or a plan. I enjoyed it thoroughly. I got 5.5g 1.070 "doppelbock" and 3g 1.030 small beer. I should have stopped draining my ton on the first beer when I hit 7.5 gallons, but like an idiot, kept lautering and had to do a 90 ninute boil. That left me with a smaller second beer. It's ok, I got 2 beers, and a basis for next time I try. I like the parti-gyle technique a lot.

Originally Posted by Yooper
We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter.
Mikeysab on untappd.
mikeysab is online now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2012, 12:39 PM   #33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 173
Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 56


To calculate color for a parti gyle:

Multiply Lovibond by pounds for each item on your grain bill and add to get a total coloring units (TCU).
I use the formula Color in SRM = 1.4922*(TCU*0.6)^0.6859

The 0.6 comes from the amount of extract in your first beer (I figure 60% for my system). By amount of extract, I mean amount of color extracted from the mash, not the volume of the mash.
I believe that the formula is based on Beer's Law ( though I could be mistaken.
I believe that the 1.4922 and 0.6859 were determined empirically.

If you're doing 3 beers, your second beer's color is going to have 60% of the remaining 40% of color, so multiply by 0.24 (0.6*0.4 = 0.24).
Now you've used 84% of the color units (1-(0.6+0.24) = 0.84. The third beer gets 60% of the remaining color. So that's 60% of 16% = 0.096.

First beer Color in SRM = 1.4922*(TCU*0.6)^0.6859
Second beer color = 1.4922*(TCU*0.24)^0.6859
Third beer color = 1.4922*(TCU*0.096)^0.6859

In any case, this formula works for me (ymmv).

bioguy is offline
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2014, 05:23 PM   #34
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cardiff, Wales
Posts: 609
Liked 35 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 7


Considering doing a partigyle of an IPA, a special bitter and a dark mild.

Mainly doing a grain bill of 20lb pale malt and 1lb medium crystal malt. I'll have to do some calculations but expecting to do a first batch of 7.5 gallons (+10%) at 1.060 and a second batch of 7.5 gallons (+10%) at 1.025. Doing the first 7.5 gallon boil to 55IBU with Challenger and late EKG additions. Doing the second 7.5 gallon boil to 20IBU with only Challenger as a bittering hop.

Blends as follows:
5 gallons of first boil for the IPA - 1.060, 55IBU, finished with Notty.
2.5 gallons first boil and 2.5 gallons second boil for the special bitter - 1.042, 37IBU, finished with S04
5 gallons of second boil for the dark mild + 1lb dark invert syrup - 1.032, 20IBU, finished with S04.

JKaranka is offline
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Thread Tools

Newest Threads