Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Pale Ale - Decoction?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2008, 02:16 AM   #1
brucepepper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pale Ale - Decoction?

I'm curious to learn how a decoction mash affects the malt flavour of a beer and so I'm thinking about doing a single decoction for Ed Wort's Pale Ale. I've made this recipe a few times so I think that I would really learn how this technique changes the flavour.

I am wondering if those of you who have experience decocting could advise me if this is a waste of time, given that it's not really needed for the style, or a good learning opportunity. Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2008, 02:48 AM   #2
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucepepper
I'm curious to learn how a decoction mash affects the malt flavour of a beer and so I'm thinking about doing a single decoction for Ed Wort's Pale Ale. I've made this recipe a few times so I think that I would really learn how this technique changes the flavour.

I am wondering if those of you who have experience decocting could advise me if this is a waste of time, given that it's not really needed for the style, or a good learning opportunity. Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.
I do a lot of decoctions and enjoy the method although it is better suited, IMO, to use with Continental malts like pils, Vienna and Munich for lagers rather than pale ale malt and ales. If you do want to do one with an ale I suggest doing a decoction to mashout. That way you can get some melanoidin production for your beer without overmashing the pale malt.

Old 05-03-2008, 02:53 AM   #3
maltMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Probably not helpful, but I've never done one because a) I don't have a direct fire MLT, and b) In one of Jamil's shows he said that decoctions don't really do much outside of adding a bit of head retention (with the well modified grains of today). I may have been taking him out of context, but that's what I remember him saying.

Old 05-03-2008, 04:49 AM   #4
Aspera
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I would disagree with most professional brewers in that I feel decoction mashing has a very specific flavor profile that is difficult to exactly duplicate otherwise. That said, decoction mashes are energy inefficient, messy, and will not create a "classic" IPA. That is to say, every good homebrewer worth there salt should do one and throw a pound of quinoa or your fav ingredient into the mash as well. Making consistant, style appropriate beer is best left to to the pros. The homebrewer's realm is one of innovation, variation and experimentation. I've dumped at least 20 batches of experiments gone awry, and wouldn't take one of those experiences back.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:03 PM   #5
brucepepper
Recipes 

Thanks for the comments and advice. I'm going to give it a try since it sounds like the worst thing that could happen is I waste 30-60 minutes.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:13 PM   #6
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Look Here for a nice video on the subject.

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Old 05-03-2008, 07:56 PM   #7
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 208 Times on 113 Posts

i sometimes use a decoction mash out. as for the flavor profile, i'm not sure that it makes a difference, but it's a great way to raise the temp of your mash.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 05-03-2008, 10:27 PM   #8
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I think it's a great learning opportunity if nothing else. Decoctions are fun to do and really teach and connect you to brewing history. I use a decoction for my mash out on every batch, it's a great way to heat the mash to mash out and also to contribute to flavour (though not much for this short decoction boil).

I would give the mash out decoction a try first before you go with a single decoction up to your saccharification rest. You'll be surprised just how thick your decoction needs to be in order to make temperature changes that large in the main mash.

And definitely watch Kaiser's video that WBC linked to.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 05-05-2008, 12:47 AM   #9
Got Trub?
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltMonkey View Post
Probably not helpful, but I've never done one because a) I don't have a direct fire MLT, and b) In one of Jamil's shows he said that decoctions don't really do much outside of adding a bit of head retention (with the well modified grains of today). I may have been taking him out of context, but that's what I remember him saying.
Jamil has stated in several of his podcasts that he doesn't do decoction mashes as he feels he can get a very similar flavour by adding a small amount of melanoidin malt. You will see it in some of his recipes in his book.

GT

Quick Reply