Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Pacman from Rogue brews?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2007, 06:33 AM   #1
FlyGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Pacman from Rogue brews?

I could only find one partial thread on this subject, and it didn't seem that this was resolved.

The site below suggests that a number of Rogue beers will have live Pacman yeast in them:

http://www.nada.kth.se/~alun/Beer/Bottle-Yeasts/ (scroll down to the Rogue entry)

Since pacman yeast isn't available anymore from Wyeast, I am wondering if it would be possible to culture some from the dregs at the bottom of a Shakespeare Stout or Mocha Porter.

Has anyone tried this, or can anyone confirm the article above (it is pretty dated)?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2007, 08:52 AM   #2
Biermann
Reinvented Biermann
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

try capturing the yeast, propagating it, and make a small batch to see if it performs as expected. . . that way, you're not out much. If it works to your liking, brew big with it.

--------------------------------------------------------
On Draft: Old, Stale, Oxidized beer

Holding tanks:Sold
Conical #1:Sold
Bottles: Nichts
On Deck:

Old 03-09-2007, 12:40 PM   #3
Half Manbot
Recipes 

You can still find pacman around if you search. I ordered some on Tuesday and my local homebrew shop sais they still had a few in stock yesterday.

Secondary 1: Pom Mead

Secondary 2: Screwed the Pooch Lager

Secondary 3: Mead

Secondary 4: All Wheat Hefeweissen

Old 03-09-2007, 01:16 PM   #4
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The only time I've ever successfully harvested yeast from a bottle was from a wit, and even then, it was from a local brewery that doesn't pasteurize their bottles and needs constant refrigeration. And also, I'm not sure whether they use Pacman to bottle-condition their beers. Lots of breweries use bastard strains to BC rather than their normal strains.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 03-09-2007, 01:22 PM   #5
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
Lots of breweries use bastard strains to BC rather than their normal strains.
Exactly what I was thinking, too. I would be interested to hear if anyone has tried culturing it before I expend the effort.

But if it is still available, I guess I will call around a bit. Liquid yeast is hard to get in Canada, though, so I am not hopeful...

Quick Reply