New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Oyster Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 02:08 AM   #11
beachbrew5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Made one back over the winter. It was our best brew to date. Came up with a good pm stout recipe then added 7 oysters and four shells in a paint strainer for the last fifteen minutes of the boil. Going to do one again once oyster season comes back to the sc coast. Will prob use a few more oysters as most of the flavor I believe was derived from the shell it was mineraly

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2012, 01:39 PM   #12
Maltose
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I add sea salt at the beginning of the boil and then whole oysters at 15m.

Old 07-01-2012, 02:20 PM   #13
messersc
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltose View Post
I add sea salt at the beginning of the boil and then whole oysters at 15m.
So cool!! How perceptible is the difference between table salt and sea salt in beer? I've never brewed with sea salt.

Also, can you give any pointers about amounts to use? Do you need to take into account any sea salt that could be on the shells?

Old 07-02-2012, 03:23 AM   #14
MrOH
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Disclaimer: I'm not a marine biologist or food scientist or anything, and I've never brewed an oyster stout. So this is just speculation from a homebrewer, professional chef, and a guy who grew up in an area where the biggest event of the year was the Urbanna Oyster Festival.

From the couple of actual oyster stouts I've had, they have a slight meaty and briny character. That's the big difference in the different varieties of oysters, the brininess. I think this is the minerally character described earlier. The levels that would be added from the oysters would depend greatly on the waters they come from (more pronounced when from cooler waters is a decent enough rule of thumb). I would add the oysters and the oyster liquor (the juice that's inside the shell) at the beginning of the boil to fully extract this quality. Oysters are generally eaten raw or through quick cooking methods to prevent them from getting too chewy, not to preserve the flavor.

I don't think that shells would really add anything except maybe a little flavor from the the adductor muscle still being attached. When you add calcium carbonate (chalk) to the liquor, how do you usually add it? In powder form, and it's still pretty had to get it to dissolve.

Peace and bacon grease

Quick Reply