*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Oxygenation through Bottling Wand.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2007, 09:44 PM   #1
BrooZer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Oxygenation through Bottling Wand.

Well I know that I am not supposed to oxygenate my beer but when I bottle there is so much pressure in the wand that no matter how lightly i start the fill it comes rushing out and makes bubbles.

Is this a problem??

Life, Liberty, And The Pursuit of Hoppyness

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2007, 09:59 PM   #2
knipknup
Bloody John Roberts
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I was thinking about this a bit because I forgot to purge the oxygen from my keg before I force carbonated. Then I remembered, typically in bottling, the oxygen isn't purged from the head space of each bottle (in homebrewing) before capping. So this will infuse that bit of o2 into the beer as it naturally carbonates. That amount of oxygen is much more than a split second of spurt coming from the bottling wand itself. I figure you don't really have anything to worry about.

If you plan to let your bottles age for 10 years, then maybe you should worry but not really.

Every pirate lives for something different. For some, it's the open sea. For others (the masochists), it's the food. For you, it's definitely the fighting. Two things complete your pirate persona: style and swagger. Maybe a little too much swagger sometimes -- but who really cares? Arr!

Old 02-19-2007, 10:26 PM   #3
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

It will not be a problem so don't worry. Some of the bubbles you are seeing could also be CO2 coming out of solution in the wort.

Gary

Old 04-15-2007, 10:35 PM   #4
wsoxfan24
Recipes 

I had the same problem with bubbles during the bottling process. I'm glad to hear that it won't be much of a problem.

Old 04-15-2007, 10:56 PM   #5
hoplobster
Recipes 

I agree it's nothing to worry about. If you have any lingering concerns, you could get some oxygen absorning caps, but they're cost you a little more and there's some debate on wheter or not they're worth it. For my first batch, I wanted to get them "just in case" but the LHBS owner talked me out of it and I've been fine without them.

Primary: EMPTY
Keg #1: - Hefeweizen
Keg #2: - Mild Ale
Keg #3: - CO2

On Deck: Black IPA - Imperial Stout - IPA or Double IPA - Mocktoberfest

Old 04-16-2007, 01:28 AM   #6
BrewDey
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just had a similar problem while racking to secondary-I developed bubbles in the hose several times and had to re-start the siphon each time. The result was a good deal of bubbles backing up into the carboy.
Every racking before this had gone very smoothly-any reason why it backs up or advice on a better way to siphon?

Old 04-16-2007, 02:34 AM   #7
hoplobster
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewDey
I just had a similar problem while racking to secondary-I developed bubbles in the hose several times and had to re-start the siphon each time. The result was a good deal of bubbles backing up into the carboy.
Every racking before this had gone very smoothly-any reason why it backs up or advice on a better way to siphon?
Have you invested in an auto siphon?. They work like a charm and siphon quietly, I've never had any problems with them.

As for you siphon trouble, I can only assume there wasn't a good seal on your tube and racking cane? Other than that, I'm not too sure. Try the auto siphon if you haven't already, it works great!

Primary: EMPTY
Keg #1: - Hefeweizen
Keg #2: - Mild Ale
Keg #3: - CO2

On Deck: Black IPA - Imperial Stout - IPA or Double IPA - Mocktoberfest

Old 04-16-2007, 02:40 AM   #8
BrewDey
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoplobster
Have you invested in an auto siphon?. They work like a charm and siphon quietly, I've never had any problems with them.

As for you siphon trouble, I can only assume there wasn't a good seal on your tube and racking cane? Other than that, I'm not too sure. Try the auto siphon if you haven't already, it works great!
No-haven't used one of those yet. Looks like a worthy investment.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:15 AM   #9
delboy

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The beer will be depleted of oxygen during the initial ferment but will be full of dissolved CO2, almost certainly what you are seing is CO2 coming out of solution.
If you think of it that way its actually benefical, that released CO2 will fill up the head space between the beer and the cap removing the ambient air which is 21% O2 meaning you are less likely to get oxidation.

Either way RDWHAHB, some people (belgians) would tell you that the very small amount of oxidation is important in the aging process of bottled beers.

Old 04-16-2007, 03:39 PM   #10
casebrew
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Beer at that point has abbout one volume of carbonation. So most of the bubbles are CO2. Then, set the cap on as you fill, but don't crimp it yet. Go ahead and fill severasl bottles, setting the caps on each as you go. The co2 out of the beer will push the air out. Then seat the caps, in approximate order.

So far, I've had more experience thinking than I've had brewing....you don't think they are mutually exclusive, do you?

72 batches so far,
48 wine, mostly Loquat, peach, plum, prickly pear
23 beers and ciders
1 sauerkraut
1 Tequila, from a prickly pear wine experiment that didn't work. I call it "Prickly Heat"

Quick Reply