New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Oxygen Wand

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 01:14 PM   #11
ArcLight
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 47

>>what what I'm more curious about is if the oxygen is actually absorbing into the wort via the airstone, vs the airstone creating surface agitation that allows oxygen exchange.

That's an interesting question.

The use of an Oxygen wand is suggested in a number of reputable places, such as the White Labs and Wyeast.
They don't say to first Oxygenate the water, then rock the fermentor to dissolve the O2 in the head space. They say some do that, but don't say its mandatory.
If the O2 is not directly absorbed into the wort, then I think the O2 systems should spell this out "After oxygenating, seal the fermenting chamber and shake/rock it for a minute to dissolve the O2 in the head space.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2012, 06:30 AM   #12
Justintoxicated
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcLight View Post
>>what what I'm more curious about is if the oxygen is actually absorbing into the wort via the airstone, vs the airstone creating surface agitation that allows oxygen exchange.

That's an interesting question.

The use of an Oxygen wand is suggested in a number of reputable places, such as the White Labs and Wyeast.
They don't say to first Oxygenate the water, then rock the fermentor to dissolve the O2 in the head space. They say some do that, but don't say its mandatory.
If the O2 is not directly absorbed into the wort, then I think the O2 systems should spell this out "After oxygenating, seal the fermenting chamber and shake/rock it for a minute to dissolve the O2 in the head space.
I know it is try for fish tasks but wort could be different I don't have three equipment to set up an experiment

Old 08-07-2012, 06:08 PM   #13
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 266

The question of how much O2 gets into the wort is why I plan on getting the O2 meter soon. I also have some air stones that are tighter that I'll be able to test with. Once I've tested. I'll post the results.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed
ArcLight Likes This 
Old 08-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #14
ArcLight
Recipes 

>>The question of how much O2 gets into the wort is why I plan on getting the O2 meter soon. I also have some air stones that are tighter that I'll be able to test with. Once I've tested. I'll post the results.

That would be great!
Thank you Golddiggie.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:06 AM   #15
Justintoxicated
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
The question of how much O2 gets into the wort is why I plan on getting the O2 meter soon. I also have some air stones that are tighter that I'll be able to test with. Once I've tested. I'll post the results.
Nice! do you have a method without an airstone that can create surface agitation too?

I think it will be interesting to see fine bubbles compared to large bubbles as well though. Fine air bubbles should oxygenate better if the O2 is being absorbed into the war, and larger bubbles that create more surface agitation should work better if the surface agitation is what is oxygenating the wort. or at least I should think so Flow rate could also be a factor.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:05 PM   #16
ArcLight
Recipes 

That's an interesting question is how much better is a 0.5 micron air stone tan a 2 micron air stone?

I think the 0.5 tend to block up a lot more, though I wonder if that's a function of not cleaning it right away, and not using it with an Oxygen tank.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:30 AM   #17
Justintoxicated
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcLight View Post
That's an interesting question is how much better is a 0.5 micron air stone tan a 2 micron air stone?

I think the 0.5 tend to block up a lot more, though I wonder if that's a function of not cleaning it right away, and not using it with an Oxygen tank.
In a fishtank it is quit significant when injecting Co2, but I have no idea about 02 in wort. Mainly because you get more surface area when breaking Co2 into tiny particles, and they have the opportunity to be blown across more of the water by a pump etc before launching towards the surface. So it all goes back to the question of whether or not the O2 is absorbing into the wort due to oxygen injection, or via surface disruption.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #18
b-boy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 346 Times on 259 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Don't know how it works, but I've seen much more aggressive fermentations since I began using my O2 stone. Fermentation seems to take off and finish faster too.

I used to pour the wort between buckets to aerate. I don't even agitate the wort anymore. I just rack into my carboy and use the stone for 1 minute at low volume.

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #19
scone
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I link this blog every once in a while but it doesn't seem to "catch" on this forum... I'm not sure why. It's not my work... the guy who made it last posted on this forum like in 2008 as far as I can tell, and I don't think he's updated his blog since 2010. Nevertheless, he *did* measure dissolved O2 in the wort after various methods of wort aeration, and found that O2 stones are very wasteful compared to hitting the headspace of your fermenter with pure O2, and stirring with a paint stirrer (or wine degassing stirrer) for a while. Agitation is what dissolves O2.

http://blog.flaminio.net/blogs/index.php/beer/oxygen/

Old 08-09-2012, 03:47 PM   #20
ArcLight
Recipes 

This is interesting, thank you for the link.
I think the author said that air stones at high pressure are wasteful.
But what about low pressure, for a longer period of time?
I am not sure how much O2 I am adding, as I do it based by sound (I hear gurgling), and let it run for a minute.
Because I first shake the bucket for a minute, there is a foam on top, even if I spray it down. Maybe I should spray a "hole" in the foam so I can see if there are any ripples.
Maybe I should use low pressure for a longer time, say 90 seconds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scone View Post
I link this blog every once in a while but it doesn't seem to "catch" on this forum... I'm not sure why. It's not my work... the guy who made it last posted on this forum like in 2008 as far as I can tell, and I don't think he's updated his blog since 2010. Nevertheless, he *did* measure dissolved O2 in the wort after various methods of wort aeration, and found that O2 stones are very wasteful compared to hitting the headspace of your fermenter with pure O2, and stirring with a paint stirrer (or wine degassing stirrer) for a while. Agitation is what dissolves O2.

http://blog.flaminio.net/blogs/index.php/beer/oxygen/

Quick Reply