Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Oxygen Tank Lifetime

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2011, 05:44 PM   #11
bigljd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by samc View Post
I'd rather splash wort into fermenter and pitch a healthy yeast starter or go with rehydrated dry yeast which does not need the Oxygen injection.
Even using a healthy yeast starter or re-hydrated dry yeast, your yeast still need O2 to reproduce properly. Not trying to start another O2 vs splashing debate, but the White Labs testing has shown you won't get the recommended 8-10 ppm O2 (or higher for lagers) by just splashing. You can make good beer without O2, but your yeast may not be getting everything they desire. I find this thread is pretty interesting, if you want to see some other opinions:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/i-c...oxygen-235663/

I'm using the Williams wand and regulator and I burned through my first can of O2 in 5 batches too. I'm now being much more careful with the flow rate, and combine O2 via stone with a lot of splashing when draining from the keggle into the fermentor, so I think my O2 levels are in the range they should be (at least I'd like to think so anyways )

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2011, 06:12 PM   #12
Krrazy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I've got the Williams kit too -- I read somewhere on HBT that the regulators themselves leak so I've been taking it off after every use. I've used it for five batches so far. I'm not sure if it's the same issue Revvy mentioned since I just bought mine a few months ago but I have to rotate the knob several revolutions before I actualy get O2 flow. I carefully turn mine until I detect bubbling coming from the stone (it's seems to go from none --> a lot very quickly so I just stop there).

Old 06-12-2011, 02:02 PM   #13
ultravista
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 26

How do you tell if you have a bad regulator? Mine is from a welding kit, it came with propane, 02, and regulators for each.

Quick Reply