Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Oxygen accident.. Beer ruined?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2011, 07:02 PM   #1
scheffehcs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Oxygen accident.. Beer ruined?

Ok, so I just used whole hops for the first time. While siphoning my beer into the keg (I have the pump style siphon), hops got stuck in the siphon and someone sent a lot of bubble into the beer. I cleaned the siphon out, sanitized it, and started again more carefully, but it happened again. I have two questions:
Will the oxygen ruin my beer, and if so, how long might I have before it starts tasting bad? I realize this probably depends on the amount of oxygen, but any input is helpful.
How can I avoid this problem with whole hops in the future?

Thanks guys!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2011, 07:04 PM   #2
scheffehcs
Recipes 

I should add that these were from dry hopping.
If anyone is interested, it's an all-Amarillo IPA, and right now it tastes awesome!

Old 04-16-2011, 07:16 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2732 Times on 1639 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

It takes a lot of oxygen to ruin your beer, usually a lot more than basic mistakes like that. I've done the same thing, and my beer's turned out fine. Effects like that are long term storage issues anyway, so usually you would have finished drinking your beer long before any of that took effect. Relax. We've all done worse to out beer and it's managed to survive.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply