Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Oxygen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2006, 09:13 PM   #1
beerfan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Oxygen

For some reason after three years of brewing I have had issues with my finished gravity's being higher than what they should be by a large amount on my last three batches. I have come to the conclusion that I need more oxygen for my friendly yeast. What system does everyone recommend for a limited budget? I have looked into the the fish tank air filters and also the pure oxygen infusion systems. Also, how do the Gott coolers work for a lauter tun?

Thanks
Dan

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2006, 09:31 PM   #2
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

"Limited Budget"? How much are you willing to spend. I got an aeration kit, complete with HEPA filter, from AHS for $30. Since I got it, my average attenuation has increased by at least 10%. Best $30 I ever spent.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 11-27-2006, 09:57 PM   #3
beerfan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Did you go with a 100% oxygen tank setup or one one that would hook up to a fish tank air pump? $30 is fine for me - I just am not ready to spend hundreds, I only brew enough for myself and occasionally slide some to my friends at this point.

Dan

Old 11-27-2006, 09:59 PM   #4
Evan!

Recipes 

No, I bought this one.

It's a small pump, no switch, you just plug it in and it turns on, unplug it and it turns off. There is a vinyl tube running out of it. In the middle of that tube line there is an inline HEPA filter to clean the air. At the end of the tube is an aeration stone. You plug the thing in, sanitize the tube, put the stone into your wort, and let it aerate for 20-60 mins. Very simple. I don't need no oxygenation kit...this thing works just great!

.planned:
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 11-27-2006, 10:09 PM   #5
beerfan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Do you use the defoamer? Also, did you create a hole in your fermentor to reduce the possibility of airborn bacteria getting into your wert while this is plugged in?

Old 11-27-2006, 10:16 PM   #6
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

I have this one. No complaints at all. I like having the wand - lets you aim where you want and it's easy to clean.

Old 11-27-2006, 11:17 PM   #7
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerfan
Do you use the defoamer? Also, did you create a hole in your fermentor to reduce the possibility of airborn bacteria getting into your wert while this is plugged in?
  1. I've never had enough foam for it to be a problem. Usually, in my primary vessels, I have at least 6" between the surface of the wort and the opening...the foam has never gotten to be more than a thin film on top of the wort.
  2. As for the bacteria problem, well, I'd hate to see what happens if I "created" a hole in my glass carboys...no, what I do is insert the tube so that the square HEPA filter (see pic above) covers the carboy lip. I tape it in place, and given that most airborne bacteria that want to spoil my wort are falling directly downward, I'm not too concerned. I haven't had any problems so far...

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 11-27-2006, 11:20 PM   #8
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwj
I have this one. No complaints at all. I like having the wand - lets you aim where you want and it's easy to clean.
Hey, how much does it cost for one of those oxy bottles new? How much to refill? Just curious.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 11-28-2006, 12:36 PM   #9
beerfan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

The tanks are about 8-10 dollars, I am not sure how much they cost to refill. My father in law living with us has oxygen tanks and I might try one of those with this setup. http://www.williamsbrewing.com/22_AE..._WAND_P490.cfm.

Dont worry - I wont take the last of his.

Dan

Old 11-28-2006, 12:52 PM   #10
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
Hey, how much does it cost for one of those oxy bottles new? How much to refill? Just curious.
I don't think you can get them refilled. YOu just get them at the hardware store - I paid $7 for the one I have and they're supposed to last quite a while.

Quick Reply