Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > For our Brett Pros...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2008, 05:46 PM   #1
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default For our Brett Pros...

A bunch of us up here in the Pac NW just blended several batches into a Pinot Noir barrel and dumped in some brett and lacto. All batches were previously fermented before blending. We're a little shy on volume into the barrel so I was going to do up another batch. Should I let this batch ferment out for a few weeks then blend, or will the bugs benefit from having some fresh sugars added?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2008, 05:52 PM   #2
Natas
Recipes 

Our club did a pinot barrel flanders not long ago, and we ended up having to brew a couple of extra batches to top up the barrel over the 18 months it was in there. The angels must have really liked our brew
Anyway, go ahead and brew another batch, it'll be fine with fermenting it out then blending. There's plenty of sugars for the Brett. et al. to chew on already.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:25 PM   #3
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 97

A bunch of my friends and I are going to be putting Flanders Red into a barrel next weekend. We are planning on adding 5 gallons of unfermented wort along with 55 gallons that has already fermented, just to make sure the brett/bacteria starts out happy. When I am normally doing sour beers I like to add the funk right at the start, the more sugar it gets to work through the happier I am with the resulting beer.

I agree though for top-ups over the next 12-18 months I would go with already fermented wort since it will be less likely to dramatically shift the conditions in the barrel. I know Lost Abbey keeps a barrel of their Mexican lager around to top-up all of their other barrel aged sour ales.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Quick Reply