Orange Peel addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptZav

Reaction score
I do not currently have access to a carboy, but I would like to brew a wheat beer with a hint of orange. Could I add orange peel to the primary after fermentation finishes? If so, how long should I leave it in there. I usually keep my beer in the primary for 3-3 1/2 weeks, should I change this as well?

Thanks
Capt

You'd be better off to add the peel at the end of the boil. Then strain it out before it goes into the fermenter. You can always add some zest to the secondary as well for more orange flavor.

I had some sit in the primary for 3 weeks. The beer is really bitter now, even after aging in the bottle for almost two months!

I added grapefruit peels to my pale ale, 15 minutes left in the boil. I used the peel from two grapefruits freshly peeled and ripped into about 1" pieces. Easy to keep out of the fermenter. Came out fabulous.

You could wait until fermentation ceases, then add some zest, or even fresh juice. I don't have any experience with oranges, but I've heard that the "pith" (white part on rind) could impart some pretty bitter flavors. Unless that's what your going for, which could easily be. I'd do it like this (I'm definitely no pro fyi) Wait until fermentation stops (7-10days), then add the fruit for an additional 10+ days. Bottle when you're ready.

Latest posts

Back