Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > oops, I made... Beer!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2007, 02:23 AM   #1
Zymurgrafi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Default oops, I made... Beer!!!

well, I have been doing so well making swill. I went and blew it though and I actually made some good beer!!!

Finally!

Well, the oatmeal stout I have been afraid to try (because of other recent batches) I took a reading tonight and it tastes great! I do not have a practical means of doing a secondary with it (no vacancies), so I have decided if it is still reading the same in a few days, I am bottling it.

Something to look forward to! I might even let some of it carbonate before drinking it!

It is thick and rich, very nice. Even with the disaster of my first full blown partial mess, er, I mean mash (It was a full mess!) it turned out.

I think I conclude from all this, I will stick with dry yeast for a while, then maybe order some white labs or Wyeast from elsewhere.

Thanks everyone for helpin' me through the rough time!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2007, 02:44 AM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

How long has it been inthe primary?

I left a brew in the primary over 30 days and it won Best of Show so don't rush it.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:50 AM   #3
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 231

"Ain't no stoppin me now..."

Congrats. If it tastes good in the prime, a stout will only get better. If you're running out of secondary room, order a couple (or three) used cornies from Adventures in Brewing for $18 apiece, clean them up and use them as secondaries.

It's a great way to stow away a new batch in a corner and forget about it.

Then, when you're convinced your a "brewer" again, you'll be ready to keg and serve your brew.

Old 03-13-2007, 07:19 PM   #4
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

Default 2 weeks (14 days)

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99

I left a brew in the primary over 30 days and it won Best of Show so don't rush it.

I guess I could let it sit a bit more. Although there is a good amount of trub in there. I am not the best at filtering that out yet, have yet to find a method that works for me. Will that be detrimental do you think?

As for kegs, well, I can get some 5 gallon carboys at my LHBS for $17 each. Someday kegs, I am sure...

Old 03-15-2007, 09:17 PM   #5
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99

I have been thinking about this. What was the beer style and how high was the OG? That plays somewhat of a role in fermentation times correct? For instance, something with an OG in the low 40's or high 30's probably would not be good to leave too long in Primary, yes?

I have decided to leave it another week. What you said got me thinking though about timing.

Quick Reply