Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > One Pot Brew & Ferment (1-gallon)?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2013, 11:50 PM   #11
wilserbrewer
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 571 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I have fermented many batches in the brew kettle ranging from 5 to 15 gallons and have never been disappointed.

Revvy Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 11:56 PM   #12
Thunder_Chicken
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 657 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgewaterBrewer View Post
But it would bother me to be unable to see how we'll it's clearing up
That would be an issue, but I'm not too bothered by a little haze. I'm trying to get a pipeline going so that I'll be able to bottle condition for at least three weeks. I'm not going to homebrew contests with these beers, I just want to drink fresh tasty beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgewaterBrewer View Post
and also to only have 1 beer fermenting at a time.
I don't multi-task very well. I find it is a great way to do two things quickly and badly. Come to think of it, I don't always single-task that well either..

Old 02-06-2013, 12:00 AM   #13
cklages
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have done this. In my case the rivets on the handle and the rim around the glass lid turned out not to be stainless as evidenced by the rust and corrosion that resulted. Otherwise it worked fine.

The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.

Remember, nothing says 'good job' like a firm, open-palm slap on the behind.

Revvy Likes This 
Old 02-06-2013, 12:04 AM   #14
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3486

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
I have fermented many batches in the brew kettle ranging from 5 to 15 gallons and have never been disappointed.
See Thunder, I told you that there is rarely if ever an intrinsically small batch brewing questions....the issues and situations are ALWAYS the same regardless of the size of the batch...there's NO need for a separate small batch forum.

Thanks bro, for proving my point.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-06-2013, 12:16 AM   #15
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 657 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
See Thunder, I told you that there is rarely if ever an intrinsically small batch brewing questions....the issues and situations are ALWAYS the same regardless of the size of the batch...there's NO need for a separate small batch forum.

Thanks bro, for proving my point.
Rarely, but sometimes :

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/smal...meters-387081/

Reason: Replied to wrong thread.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:25 AM   #16
Revvy

Recipes 

I gave answers in that thread too....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-06-2013, 01:02 AM   #17
hughmac
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Did the op ask for your opinion on doing small batches? A LOT OF FOLKS brew 1 gallon batches...In fact Brooklyn Brew Works 1 gallon batches has probably done more for getting folks into all grain in the last couple of years then anything else in homebrewing. There's even a book on doing them. So clearly some folks don't happen to share you opinion.

Lots of people on here do 1 gallon batches, INCLUDING ME ON OCCASSION. Funny no one sneers if someone does a 1 gallon batch of wine, or mead, or apfelwein, but if it's beer folks have to have an opinion...which none of us really care about, so why waste your time giving it to us?

The Basic Brewing folks have been advocating doing one gallon batches for years. INCLUDING BARLEYWINES. Why don't you go tell James Sencer you think it's a waste of time?

Just because doing small batches isn't your cup of tea, doesn't mean any of us care about your opinion on the matter....your advice was good.. but noone's asking if you think it's worth doing small batches.

OP, if you really want to tie up your brew kettle doing this, then yeah, go for it...but it seems to me you can make more beer if you just put your small batches in gallon jugs, or frosting buckets, and brew in your kettle.
Hi Revvy:

Ummmm ... where did I share any opinion on whether it's 'worth doing small batches'?

Did you read my post? Or was I that unclear?

My point is exactly yours: if the OP's happy tying up his brew kettle for the time it takes to ferment, then by all means, try it for us and report back! And to be scientific, he might try identical batches except:

- a batch fermented in the kettle
- a batch fermented single stage
- a batch fermented dual stage

Then have a party, give them out to friends for tasting and analysis.

I guess I didn't state right out that I brew small myself ... I'm racking a 2 gallon ordinary this evening to 2 x 1 gallon secondaries, one with dry hops and one without.

Anything "small" right now piques my interest, hence my joining the discussion.

Down boy.
Bottles: DUSTY
Conditioning: Nada
Secondary: Oddman Ordinary
Primary: Nada
On-Deck: Maibock? Schwartzbier?

Old 02-06-2013, 01:07 AM   #18
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughmac View Post
Hi Revvy:

Ummmm ... where did I share any opinion on whether it's 'worth doing small batches'?

Did you read my post? Or was I that unclear?

My point is exactly yours: if the OP's happy tying up his brew kettle for the time it takes to ferment, then by all means, try it for us and report back! And to be scientific, he might try identical batches except:

- a batch fermented in the kettle
- a batch fermented single stage
- a batch fermented dual stage

Then have a party, give them out to friends for tasting and analysis.

I guess I didn't state right out that I brew small myself ... I'm racking a 2 gallon ordinary this evening to 2 x 1 gallon secondaries, on with dry hops and one without.

Anything "small" right now piques my interest, hence my joining the discussion.

Down boy.
Maybe I miss interpreted, but this kinda sounded like the typical slams that folks make about small batch brewing. There was a big discussion about comments like that in the New forum request thread....

"Most importantly, 1 gallon makes a minimal quantity of beer. If you're happy with ~10 beers every 10 days minimum, give it a go and report back!"

In light of that discussion, the above could be taken as a being a bit derogatory.....

Sorry.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:26 AM   #19
hughmac
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Maybe I miss interpreted, but this kinda sounded like the typical slams that folks make about small batch brewing. There was a big discussion about comments like that in the New forum request thread....

"Most importantly, 1 gallon makes a minimal quantity of beer. If you're happy with ~10 beers every 10 days minimum, give it a go and report back!"

In light of that discussion, the above could be taken as a being a bit derogatory.....

Sorry.
No worries, and I'm going to try this myself, at least for primary. Why not? I'll report back.
Bottles: DUSTY
Conditioning: Nada
Secondary: Oddman Ordinary
Primary: Nada
On-Deck: Maibock? Schwartzbier?

Old 02-06-2013, 02:46 AM   #20
killian
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4