Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > One Pot Brew & Ferment (1-gallon)?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2013, 03:26 PM   #1
Thunder_Chicken
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 657 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Default One Pot Brew & Ferment (1-gallon)?

I've been working on a few 1-gallon batches and it occurred to me that the whole brewing process could be greatly simplified if I could just do it all in the same pot.

I boil the wort in a 1.5 gallon stainless steel pot which has a tight-fitting pyrex lid with a small steam escape hole, which I think would be sufficient for CO2 release. Is there any reason in the world why I couldn't just cool the wort, pitch the yeast into the pot, and then just let it ferment in the pot? Using Northern Brewer Fizz Tabs for priming would let me bottle directly from the pot.

The only possible objection I could think of is exposing the beer to stainless steel is somehow bad as compared to putting it into food grade plastic or glass carboys.

Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 10:11 PM   #2
hughmac
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'll let others talk about why this might be bad from a technical product quality perspective and discuss only containers, brewing frequency, and cost.

If you ferment in your brew pot, you need more brew pots if you want more batches fermenting at the same time. Brew pots aren't cheap. 1 gallon glass jugs are incredibly cheap. I bought a bunch of Rufino jug wine bottles (with wine too!) on sale at some point for some ridiculous price.

Most importantly, 1 gallon makes a minimal quantity of beer. If you're happy with ~10 beers every 10 days minimum, give it a go and report back!

Bottles: DUSTY
Conditioning: Nada
Secondary: Oddman Ordinary
Primary: Nada
On-Deck: Maibock? Schwartzbier?

Old 02-05-2013, 10:21 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2724 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughmac View Post

Most importantly, 1 gallon makes a minimal quantity of beer. If you're happy with ~10 beers every 10 days minimum, give it a go and report back!
Did the op ask for your opinion on doing small batches? A LOT OF FOLKS brew 1 gallon batches...In fact Brooklyn Brew Works 1 gallon batches has probably done more for getting folks into all grain in the last couple of years then anything else in homebrewing. There's even a book on doing them. So clearly some folks don't happen to share you opinion.

Lots of people on here do 1 gallon batches, INCLUDING ME ON OCCASSION. Funny no one sneers if someone does a 1 gallon batch of wine, or mead, or apfelwein, but if it's beer folks have to have an opinion...which none of us really care about, so why waste your time giving it to us?

The Basic Brewing folks have been advocating doing one gallon batches for years. INCLUDING BARLEYWINES. Why don't you go tell James Sencer you think it's a waste of time?

Just because doing small batches isn't your cup of tea, doesn't mean any of us care about your opinion on the matter....your advice was good.. but noone's asking if you think it's worth doing small batches.

OP, if you really want to tie up your brew kettle doing this, then yeah, go for it...but it seems to me you can make more beer if you just put your small batches in gallon jugs, or frosting buckets, and brew in your kettle.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-05-2013, 10:24 PM   #4
forstmeister
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Small batch size aside (kidding Revvy) I would be concerned leaving the beer to ferment on all the trub that normally gets tossed after transfer to fermenter.

I drink (homebrew), therefore I am (gassy)

Old 02-05-2013, 10:29 PM   #5
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

I'm fine with this production rate. This is for my own consumption or for swapping with my other friends who brew, and my wife doesn't drink.

I have a pot dedicated to brewing. My thought is to just minimize any vessel-to-vessel transfers where contamination could occur.

So far the only thing I can think of that might be a problem is aerating the wort, but I can slosh the heck out of the pot with the lid on after cooling it, so I think that'll be OK.

Is the break in the trub such bad stuff to let the beer sit for a couple of weeks on it?

Old 02-05-2013, 10:30 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2724 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by forstmeister View Post
Small batch size aside (kidding Revvy) I would be concerned leaving the beer to ferment on all the trub that normally gets tossed after transfer to fermenter.
Why? SOme folks dump the entire contents of their brew kettle right into their fermenters. I did it for years, and with a month long fermentation is was just as clear as if I ran it through a funnel, or if I racked it over with my autosiphon.

Plenty of folks just dump.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-05-2013, 10:37 PM   #7
forstmeister
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy

Why? SOme folks dump the entire contents of their brew kettle right into their fermenters. I did it for years, and with a month long fermentation is was just as clear as if I ran it through a funnel, or if I racked it over with my autosiphon.

Plenty of folks just dump.
I guess we learn something new everyday. I always thought that getting it off the trub was recommended. I assumed those that dumped were doing it through a strainer.

I drink (homebrew), therefore I am (gassy)

Old 02-05-2013, 10:41 PM   #8
BridgewaterBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 115

I can't see any issues with this approach. I doubt stainless steel would cause issues. Even if the vent isn't big enough for the gas produced, if the lid isnt on too tight it should just lift to allow pressure out. I believe this is more or less what would be called an open fermentation. But it would bother me to be unable to see how we'll it's clearing up and also to only have 1 beer fermenting at a time.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:42 PM   #9
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

My last batch I just dumped everything in. I was concerned with the volume it took up in the fermenter, but less so about off-reactions. It's in the bottle now, we'll see.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:49 PM   #10
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Obviously there's no issue fermenting in stainless steel... What do you think Sierra Nevada ferments in, plastic? I drink and share too much beer to make one gallon batches a regular thing, personally. Good luck!

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Quick Reply