Is it okay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronjer

Reaction score
I just made my 2nd AG batch on fri and used the ubiquitous Ed Wort's Pale Ale, and everything was soooooo smooth, and then.....
my og reading which should have been about 1.042ish was about 1.030ish and I am on day 5 of fermentaion and can't tell if it fermented or not. I noticed a very slight activity taking place in the airlock on sat morning and left town for about 27 hrs and on sun night there was no activity in the air lock up until now. I took a hydrometer reading and am now at 1.008 so I believe that it must have ran it's course when I wasn't home??? I think I got crap efficiency that is why my og and fg are low, but they seem to be o.k. in terms of relativity and the beer tasted good this morning when I took my reading(maybe a slight sourness is all) but otherwise quite tasty. My question is, do I rack over to the secondary and go with it?
All temps and such have been within 2 degrees F of intended from mash to sparge to fermentation. I used Nottingham dry yeast and fermented at 67F from Fri @ about 3 pm 'til now. Too k my reading/tasting about 2 hrs ago and won't be home for 7 more hrs.
All replies are appreciated and to all...PROST!!:mug:

I'd say your fermentation is done. I just made a extract batch & the Nottingham yeast seemed to go into the log phase in about 18 hours. Here is a link, note the graphs:
http://www.danstaryeast.com/tds/nottingham.pdf
For peace of mind, you could wait another day & take another reading.
My SG was 1.032 & EG was 1.006. I pitched on 4-8-08 & bottled yesterday, 4-15-80. I usually wait at least one day extra. If it doesn't bubble for about 2 minutes, & the EG is where I think it should be, I bottle.

What temp did you take the OG reading at? did you adjust for temperature?

Are you taking your 1.008 reading at 67 deg? If so, sounds like something happened.

What's your setup like? Possible you got really bad efficiency?

Unless your answers to the above questions are really weird, my thought is that it's done, rack it.

I just made my mash tun and sparge setup, but I decided to not use the sparge manifold and batch sparged instead. The usual rubbermaid with cpvc manifolds. I did take the temp at 67-70 range as I used the thermometer stick on to the bucket type of thermometer and know it is not exact (like the 66, 68, 70 numbers were all colored in, giving me the temp 'range', I guess). The equipment functioned well, and I did an iodine tincture test at 1 hr and it stayed brown. I believe I got good conversion, but I probably sparged incorrectly and I think that might be the problem there. I'm gonna rack it and go. I think if it tastes as good now, then it must be good.

Thanks again!!

Back